[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CATTON, which gives name to a police division, is a delightful suburban village and parish, 2 miles N. of Norwich, having many picturesque mansions, ornamented with tasteful plantations and pleasure grounds, and containing 650 inhabitants, and about 900 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors, many of whom reside here, and have purchased the rectorial tithes of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are lords of the manor and patrons of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Margaret, and is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4. 13s. 9d. It has 17A. of glebe, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. Richard Hart, A.B., who has £160 a year in lieu of the vicarial tithes, and £10 a year from the rectorial tithes. The church has a round tower, with an octangular top; and in the interior are many handsome mural monuments, to the Corie, Bronde, Blanks, Brereton, Busby, and other families.
Four boys are sent from this parish to Norman's Free School, in Norwich, founded in 1724, by John Norman, who left 6d. each to 20 poor people yearly, on Nov. 1st. and 20s. to the vicar, and 2s. 6d. to the clerk, for a sermon once in two years. (See p. 128. [which is the entry for Norman's Charity School, in the History of Norwich]) The poor have 10s. a year from the treasurer of the Boy's Hospital, in Norwich, as the amount of Warner's charity to this parish; and a yearly rent-charge of 20s., out of Five Acre Piece, left by Wm. Bussey.
They have likewise 15s. worth of bread yearly from the charities of John and Eliz. Addey, which also provide for the education of four boys from Catton, at a school in Norwich, and for binding them out apprentice when they leave school. (See p. 125. [which is the entry for the Norwich Charity Schools, in the History of Norwich]) A Mr. Whall, at an early period, gave 2½A. of land to the poor of Catton, and in 1826, it was exchanged for 3A. 1R. 16P., which is let out to the industrious poor, in about 13 lots, at 10s. a rood. The rents are distributed at Christmas in bread.
Here is a Free School, supported by subscription; and in the village is a small Wesleyan Chapel. The POST OFFICE is at Mr. Thos. Walker's.
New Catton is a modern suburb, in St. Clement's parish, Norwich.
Bampton Rev. Charles Old Hall Beekham John Rix baker Chitty Mrs M.A. Cocks Dennis vict. Woodman Cooke Hy. solicitor (and Norwich) Blowes Rev. Thos. Catton Grove Cubitt Captain Henry F. Everett Geo. Syder gent. Rose Ldg Everitt Wm. gent. Hawtayne Rear Admiral Chas. S.J. Harpley Charles shopkeeper Hart Rev. Richard vicar Harvey Capt. George Frederick Heath Charles gentleman Hipper Robt. beerhouse, Maid's Head Hobart Mrs My. Holmes Edmund vict. Royal Oak Jackson Samuel tailor Longe Edm. Slingsby & Robt. Esqrs Master Mrs Morse Geo. Esq. Catton House Nickels Captain John Osborne Mark bricklayer Plowman Rt. saddler & vict. Magpie Potter Ambrose butcher & shopkpr Remblance Thomas hoop maker Rushmore Wm. bookkeeper Shreeve John blacksmith Simpson John vict. George & Dragon Springfield Osborne merchant Tomlinson Mrs. Tooke John gent. Walker Thos. baker and flour dealer Webb Richard pork butcher Wilkinson John police superintendt FARMERS. Crowe Richard Paul Wm. Dixon Owen Randall John Jennings Wm. Redgrave Mark Larkman Martin Reeve Wm. Shoemakers. Broad John Duffield George Howell John
See also the Old Catton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.