CATFIELD, a large but straggling village, in several detached portions, 14 miles N.W. of Norwich and 3 miles S. by E. of Stalham, has in its parish 655 souls, and 2393 acres of land, including part of Hicklingham and Ludham Broads. The soil belongs chiefly to the Cubitt, Crowe, Beck, and other resident families. The Rev. B. Cubitt is lord of the manor of Catfield Hall; and the rest of the parish is in the out-soke manor of Sutton.
The church (All Saints,) is a large gothic structure, built about 1440, and having five bells. The living is a discharged rectory and vicarage, united, and valued in the King's Book at £7.10s. The Bishop of Norwich and the Rev. B. Cubitt are patrons alternately; and the Rev. John Prowett A.M., is the incumbent. The glebe is 21a. 3r. 11p., and the tithes have recently been commuted for £606 per annum. Here is a Primitive Methodist Chapel built in 1838.
The poor have 4a. 22p.of land, at Ludham, given by unknown donors, and now let for £8; and the interest of £43, arising from the sale of five tenements. The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, in 1802, consists of 57a. 9p. of heath land, on which the poor cut turf and pasture their cows.
Balls John wherry owner Barber Mrs Sar. Crowe Mrs Ann Cubitt Mrs Jane Hall Dye Richd. beerhouse and carrier Gibbs Wm. blksmth Greenwood Benj. schoolmaster, and agent to Norwich Union Life Off. Harbord Thos. blksmth Knight Benjamin butcher Moore John Dyball grocer, &c Myhill Edw. joiner Page Saml. joiner Postle Samuel baker Prowett Rev. John, A.M. Rectory Rice Robert tailor and grocer Vincent Christopher miller Watts George vict. Crown FARMERS Shoemakers * are Owners *Amis Edward *George Robert Dawson Robert *Barber George Greensmith Mrs Myhill David *Beck James Jay James Myhill Lewis *Beck Wm Knight Robert Pycroft Thos. Brumble John Lubbock Robert Chapman Saml. *Mace Roger *Cooke Henry Pigg Philip Crowe Samuel Pritty Samuel *Crowe Wm. Southgate John Cubitt Charles (& brick mkr) Dawson George Wells Martin
Copyright © Pat Newby.