Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Caston

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CASTON, a pleasant village, 3½ miles S.E. of Watton, has in its parish 510 inhabitants, and 1557 acres of land, mostly belonging to Lord Walsingham, Sir Wm. Bowyer Smijth, Bart., and George Barker and Machin Lake, Esqrs. Sir Wm. B. Smijth is lord of the manor of Caston Hall, but part of the parish is in the manors of Newlands, Griston, and Scoulton.

The Church (Holy Cross) comprises nave, chancel, and tower, with a clock and six bells; and is mostly in the early-decorated and perpendicular styles. It underwent repairs in 1839 and 1852, and is furnished with open benches, pulpit, and lectern of carved oak. In the chancel is a brass to Hy. Dover, Esq., and in the nave a tablet to the Francklin family.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11. 19s. 2d., is now in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Walter John Partridge, M.A., who has a plain residence, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £517, and 52A. of glebe.

The School is attended by 50 children, and was built in 1839. It is chiefly supported by the interest of £1054. 0s. 5d., three per cent. annuities, purchased with £1000 left by the late Henry Dover, Esq., in 1855.

The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built in 1818.

On the green is the base of a curiously carved cross, near which is an old farm house, said to have been an inn for the reception of pilgrims proceeding to Walsingham Abbey.

An allotment of 25A., awarded to the occupiers of 34 houses, in 1813, is let for £11. The Town Land, 2A. 35P., is let for £7, which is applied with the poor rates, and 1A., set apart for the repair of the highways, is let for £3 a year.

POST OFFICE at Jas. Osborn's. Letters despatched, via Attleborough, at 6 p.m.

	Bainbridge Fairfax           carpenter
	Barnes     Robert            bricklayer
	Chaston    Daniel            relieving officer and registrar
	                               of marriages, births, &c.
	Cooper     Jas. and Wm.      machine owners
	Crook      Mary Ann          beerhouse
	Drake      Isaac             tailor
	Hammond    Mary              pork butcher
	Hewett     John              painter, plumber, &c.
	Houchin    William           thatcher
	Murrell    James             victualler, Duke's Head
	Osborn     James             saddler & harness maker
	Palmer     Richard
	             Frederick, Esq.
	Parker     William           victualler, Red Lion
	Partridge  Rev. W.J., M.A.   Rectory
	Sayer      John              farm bailiff
	Sculfer    George            blacksmith
	Steward    Elizabeth         schoolmistress
	Sturman    John              pig dealer
	Thorpe     Misses
	Wymer      Edward            corn miller

	   BAKERS.                      FARMERS.

	Gapp       James             Bailey     George
	Plummer    Samuel and        Cooper     Mary Ann
	             Joseph          Cooper     William
	                             Davey      William
	   GROCERS & DRAPERS.        Davey      William, jun.
	                             Germany    James
	Bilham     James             Knights    Jonathan
	Cooper     James H.          Knights    Solomon
	                             Land       Edward
	   SHOEMAKERS.               Parsley    William,
	                                          Church farm
	Brett      John              Pattrick   Richard
	Gooch      Edward            Turner     Ellis, Hall
	Houchin    James             Vassar     Charles
	                             Whitrod    James
	   WHEELWRIGHTS.             Wright     William
	                             Wyer       Edward
	Banham     George
	Webster    James


See also the Caston parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2006