CASTON, a pleasant village, 3½ miles S.E. of Watton, has in its parish 513 souls, and 1509A. of land, mostly the property of Sir Edward Bowyer Smijth [sic], Bart., of Essex, and the Rev. B. Barker. The former is lord of the manor of Caston Hall, but part of the parish is in the manors of Newlands, Griston, and Scoulton.
The Church (Holy Cross) is a large fabric, with a tower and six bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11.19s.2d., is consolidated with those of Rockland, All Saints, and St. Peter, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. B. Barker, of Shipdham. The joint livings were valued in 1831, at £1022 per annum. The glebe here is about 21A.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, and on the green, is the shaft of an ancient cross, curiously carved.
An Allotment of 25A., awarded to the occupiers of 24 ancient cottages, in 1813, is let for £8. The Town Land, 2A. 35P., is let for £4, which is applied with the poor rates.
Bailey Geo. shopr. & vict. Duke's Hd. Banham Geo. wheelwright Barker Robert corn miller Bilham Jas. shopr. and shoemaker Brett John shoemaker Burcham Robert shopkeeper Coe Mary Ann schoolmistress Cook Wm. blacksmith Crook Wm. beerhouse keeper Darsley Wm. baker, &c. Dover Hy. Esq. Parsonage Fox Edmund Geo. tea-dealer Hewett Jno. plumber, painter, &c. Horne Jas. grocer and draper Land Jas. W. vict. Red Lion Land Robt. bricklayer Osborn James saddler, &c. Palmer Ellis, Esq Partridge Rev Walter J. curate Sayer John shoemaker Taylor Henry carpenter Vince Philip wheelwright, &c. FARMERS. Davey George Darsley Wm. James William Lock Davey Smith Jas. Wm. Smith Robert Turner Ellis Caston Hall Wilby Isaac Youngman Wm.
Copyright © Pat Newby.