It had 94 inhabitants in 1881, living on 765 acres, and has a rateable value of £1028.6s.9d., and a gross rental of £1077.19s.3d. Sir Reginald Wm. Procter-Beauchamp, Bart., owns all the soil, and is lord of the manor. About 1822, an urn containing several gold and silver Roman coins of the lower empire was found here.
The CHURCH was restored in 1844, at a cost of £700, and comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with four bells. In the chancel is a piscina, and a handsome oak screen. Sir Reginald William Procter-Beauchamp, Bart., and Sir Chas. H.S. Rich, Bart., are alternate patrons of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and now at £294, with that of Ashby annexed. The Rev. Robt. Thos. Whitmarsh is the incumbent, and resides at Ashby, where the rectory house is situated. Here are three acres of glebe, and the tithes of Carleton were commuted in 1840 for £170.
POST from Norwich via Loddon.
Clarke Edmund H. farmer, Hall farm Garrett John vict. Beauchamp Arms, Ferry house boat owner, surveyor and marsh farmer Hayward Mrs Deborah Hall farm Skinner Edwd. farmer & mkt. grdner Whitmarsh Rev. R.T. rctr.; h Ashby
See also the Carleton St Peter parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.