CARLTON-RODE, a large scattered village, 2 miles E.N.E. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 938 souls, and 2573 acres of land, the greater part of which belongs to Sir Robert J. Buxton, Bart., (now a minor,) but part of the parish is in Forncett and Tibbenham manors.
In the winter of 1844, a very interesting collection of British instruments or tools was discovered here in digging a ditch across a pasture field, on the farm occupied by the Rev. T. P. Slapp, of Old Buckenham, in whose possession they have been placed. They consist of four celts, one of them ornamented with embossed lines, two lower portions of two other celts, three chisels, one evidently worn and gapped by use, four gouges, and two punches, one of them battered apparently by rivetting.
They are all in excellent preservation, and shew the probable uses to which they were applied, that is, mechanical or domestic purposes; and they go far in determining the long agitated question, whether these celts were domestic or warlike instruments. These, with the chisels and gouges, are of different sizes, just as you might expect to find, at the present day, a small series of tools on a carpenter's bench, varying in their dimensions.
They are formed of very hard brass, and eight or nine small lumps of the same metal, in its crude state, were found with them. The chisels and gouges do not seem to differ much in their form from the same kind of tools used at the present day. In all probability, they have been buried in the earth 2000 years; and they prove that the primaeval inhabitants of this island, whom, on the authority of its Roman invaders, we are accustomed to hear spoken of as savages clothed in skins of beasts, and prowling about with painted bodies, were not so ignorant of mechanical arts, as we are sometimes disposed to imagine.
The Church (All Saints,) was repaired in 1717, and has a good organ, lately given by Mrs. Bevan. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, and now having a yearly rent of £922. 12s. 6d.. awarded in 1839 in lieu of tithes. Sir R.J. Buxton, Bart., is patron, and the Rev. F.S. Bevan incumbent.
Here is a Baptist chapel.
The Town Lands, &c., consist of two cottages and 3 roods, occupied by the poor; 15A. let for £24, which is carried to the poor rates; and 15A. 1R. 20P. let for £22, applied with the church rates. Part was given by Robert Verdon and other donors, and the rest was set out at the enclosure, in 1799, when a Fuel Allotment of 40A. was awarded to the poor. The latter is let for £35, which is distributed in coals, together with the rent of 2A. purchased with the bequest of a Mr. Howes.
The rector supports a National School for 50 children.
Austin John blacksmith Austin Samuel beerhouse Bateman James wheelwright Bevan Rev. F. S. Rectory Blake Edward blacksmith Briggs Mr. Rd. [see note below] Everett Isaac beerhouse Lanham Thos. plumber, painter, &c Lansdell Wm. vict. Adam and Eve Littleproud John and Elizabeth National School Morley Dvd. wheelgt. & auctioneer Ringer James corn miller Rudd Mrs. Ann [see note below] Scott Uriah joiner and par. clerk Smith Robert corn millerNOTE: In the original these entries are written:-
FARMERS (* are owners.) *Barnard Robert *Bateman Elijah Baxter James *Browne John, Zach. & Wm. Burcham James Chatten Robert Cheney Edmund Davey Edward Hardy Robert *Hardiment A. *Hipperson John Holl Lewis Howlett Mary Mason John Mayor Jonathan *Musk Samuel Oakley John *Page Wm. Phillippo Wm. Rush Edmund Self Edw. & Mtw. *Spink Wm. Stimpson John Woodrow John Shoemakers. Austin Samuel Bateman Benj. Bolton Francis Matthews Wm. Shopkeepers. (* are Bakers.) *Foster Wm. *Howes Thomas *Glover George Self James
Copyright © Pat Newby.