[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
CARLETON FOREHOE is a small scattered village and parish, 3 miles N. by W. of Wymondham, containing 151 souls and 688A. of land, mostly belonging to Lord Wodehouse, the patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 17s. 1d., and in 1831, at £120, arising from 131A. of land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes in 1766, and partly purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty and £200 given by the Rev. Jas. Champion, in 1724. The Rev. Algernon Wodehouse is the incumbent.
The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a small ancient fabric, with a modern tower, and has recently been repewed and repaired. The organ was given by Mrs. Wodehouse.
The Town Lands, left by John Sayer, in 1391, are undefinably intermingled with Lord Wodehouses's [sic] estate, and for many years he and his predecessors have paid for them the yearly rent of £24. 9s 4d, which is carried to the poor rates; together with £1. 16s., received as the rent of an acre of land in Barnham Broom, which was obtained at the enclosure in exchange for other land belonging to this parish.
Tuck Mr. Rd. land agent to Lord Wodehouse Laskey Samuel shopkeeper Thurling Peter carpenter Thwaites Wm. farmer Turner John S. farmer
The Norfolk Subscription Stag Hounds are kept on Mr. Turner's farm.
See also the Carleton Forehoe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.