East Carlton was anciently two parishes, and had two Churches, standing within 50 yards of each other; but St. Peter's was dilapidated in 1550, and only a few fragments of it now remain; though its discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831, at £138, is still continued as a sinecure, in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Barker, of Lakenheath, Suffolk. St. Mary's is a small building, with a short square tower and wooden spire, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4, and in 1831, at £181, in the gift of the Norwich Charity Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Robert John Francis.
Bunting Jno. wheelwright Francis Rev. Rt. Bransby curate Hurnard Rev. Wm. Burr Lodge Steward Rev. John Henry Carlton House Smith Mr. Mattw. Thrower Isaac shoemaker Thrower James blacksmith Threxton Isaac gardener farmers Beaumont George Delph Samuel Huggins Wm. Points Wm. Richards James
See also the East Carleton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.