Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Carbrooke

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CARBROOKE, a long village with several neat houses, 2½ miles E. of Watton, has in its parish 807 souls, and 3026 acres of land; mostly belonging to Sir W.R. Clayton, and Richard Dewing, Esq. The former is lord of the manors of Carbrooke and Woodhall, and the latter is seated at the Hall, which was much enlarged about twelve years ago.

The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul) was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VI., and is a handsome lofty edifice, with a tower 33 yards high, containing five bells. A fine Gothic screen divides the nave and chancel, and the roof of the former is richly carved and painted; the supporters resting in half-length figures with clasped hands. The Knights Templar had 16 stalls in the chancel, but they were converted into pews many years ago. The church has of late years undergone many judicious repairs.

The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7. 12s. 6d., and in 1831, at £113, in the patronage of Richd. Dewing, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Ainsworth, M.A. It was augmented in 1729, with £200 of royal bounty, and £200, given by the Rev. J. Carter; and in 1810 and 1815, with £400, in parliamentary grants. The tithes of the impropriate rectory were commuted in 1844, for £482. 4s.; and the vicarial tithes, for £74. 4s. per annum. Besides the latter, the vicar has the tithes of 200A. of land, in Great Ellingham.

The Church Land, 13A. 3R. 9P., is let for £41, out of which the poor have 20s. The Fuel Allotment, awarded to the poor in 1801, is 55A. 2R. 15P., let for £71.

The Independents, and the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel here.

Another church anciently stood in an exempt jurisdiction, called Carbrooke Parva, belonging to the commandry or preceptory of Knights Templar, founded here by Roger Earl of Clare, (who died in 1173,) and more amply endowed in 1182, by his widow, who gave it to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem. This house was sometimes called the priory of St. John of Jerusalem, but commonly, "the Commandry of Kerbrook;" and was the only institution of its kind in Norfolk. It was endowed with numerous farms and vassals.

All persons who enjoyed the privileges of this order were allowed to fix a cross upon their houses and lands, which exempted them from the payment of tithes, taxes, and many customary dues. These privileges the Knights, by granting their name and use of the cross, conferred upon others; for which exemptions, numbers of small annual payments were made to them out of lands, and tenements, in this and the adjoining counties. But this abuse growing enormous, by many presuming to put a cross upon their property, a statute was enacted in the reign of Edward I., for the confiscation of all property on which crosses were falsely affixed.

On the dissolution of the Carbrooke preceptory, its revenues were valued at £65. 2s. 9d. per annum, and were granted, with the house and its church, to Sir Richd. Gresham and Sir Richd. Southwell, Knights. There are some remains of the house, but no vestiges of the church, though its burial ground is still known; and in digging in it, in 1737, a curious cross was found, with an oaken stem, ornamented with brass bosses.

	  Anger     John              baker
	  Barker    Miss Hart.        Carbrk. Cottage
	  Buck      Henry             shoemaker
	  Bullen    Robert            butcher
	  Catton    Geo.              wheelgt. and beerhouse
	  Clarke    Robert            shopkeeper
	  Claxton   Geo.              charcoal burner and vict. Crown
	  Dewing    Richd. Esq.       Carbrooke Hall
	  Harvey    John              tailor and beerhouse
	  Hipkin    Thos.             smith and parish clerk
	  Holmes    Henry             tailor
	  Hunton    Jonathan          iron founder and machine maker
	  Jennings  Rev Jas.
	              Knights, M.A.   curate
	  Knights   Jonathan          corn miller
	  Land      Edmund            corn miller
	  Minns     Jeremiah          butcher
	  Scott     Thos. Edward Esq
	  Sculpher  Geo.              blacksmith
	  Stagwood  Wm.               shoemkr. and shopr.
	  Watson    Wm.               beerhouse keeper

	                       FARMERS.
	                   (* Are owners.)

	* Alpe      Edmund            Hunter    John
	  Beets     James             Kiddle    Robert
	  Brassnett Robert            Leggett   John
	  Bullard   Mrs               Rushbrook Jph.
	  Caddy     Thomas            Sayer     Benjamin
	* Cadge     John              Stebbings Henry, (regr, &
	  Chapman   James                         relieving officer)
	  Clarke    Robert            Steele    Isaac
	  Davey     Thomas            Trumpres  John
	  Davey     George          * Wace      Clement
	  Griggs    Thomas            Winter    John
	  Herdemant Thos. Mace

See also the Carbrooke parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2016