Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Cantley

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

CANTLEY, near the river Yare, and on the Norwich and Yarmouth Railway, 10 miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, is a parish in Blofield union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Blofield hundred, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Freethorpe polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had, in 1881, 266 inhabitants, living on 1850 acres of land, whose rateable value is £3285 10s. William Alexander Gilbert, Esq., who resides at the Manor House, a spacious mansion with well-wooded pleasure grounds, is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil.

The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is of the Perpendicular period, and consists of nave, south porch, chancel, lady chapel, and square tower with one bell. There is a piscina in the chancel, and another in the lady chapel. Here are also tablets of the Shanke, Layton, and Leedes families, and a curious old Norman font of marble. The north and west windows are filled with stained glass. In 1854 the building was restored, the old pews were replaced by handsome open benches, and a new pulpit and reading-desk were added, at a cost of £500, given by the patron. The nave was entirely reroofed in 1876, and two walls of the chancel built, and a roof thrown over it in 1880.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14, is in the gift of William A. Gilbert, Esq., and in the incumbency of the Rev. John Bellamy Gilbert, M.A., who has a handsome residence of Italian architecture, built in 1862. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £308 per annum, and the glebe is 43A. 2R.

A new school was built by W.A. Gilbert, Esq., in 1871, and is attended by between 40 and 50 children. The Poor's Allotment, 18A. 2R., awarded at the enclosure, is let for £40.

POST OFFICE at Mr. John Harper's. Letters received at 8.50 a.m., and despatched at 2.50 p.m. viâ Burlingham. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is at Reedham.

	Allen     Thomas             farmer; h Norwich
	Balls     James              farmer
	Belton    William            station agent
	Bloom     Robert             farm bailiff to W.A. Gilbert, Esq.
	Burred    Mrs William        farmer
	Claxton   William            parish clerk
	Croker    Mrs Anna
	Curtis    Lambert            farmer and dealer
	Curtis    Samuel William     farmer
	England   Wm.                shopkeeper and carrier
	Gilbert   Rev. John Bellamy,
	            M.A.             rector, Cantley Rectory
	Gilbert   Mrs.               The Oaks
	Gilbert   William Alexander,
	            Esq., J.P.       The Manor House
	Goldspink Alfd. Jacob        vict. Red House
	Harper    John               postmaster
	Howes     Robert             frmr. & vict. The Cock
	King      William George     wheelwright, carpenter, and blacksmith
	Mayes     Miss Harriet       schoolmistress
	Wright    Henry              farmer, Oland's farm

CARRIERS - I. Clement Hayes, from Freethorpe to Norwich and back, on Wed. and Sat.; William England, to and from Norwich, on Saturday


See also the Cantley parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2007