CANTLEY, near the river Yare and the Railway, 10 miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, has in its parish 210 souls, and 1810 acres of land, mostly the property of Wm. Alex. Gilbert, Esq., who has a pleasant residence here, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, (St. Margaret,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Henry Robert Gilbert. The glebe is 40A., and the tithes have been commuted for £308 per annum. The Poor's Allotment, 17A. awarded at the enclosure, is let for £24.
Dunt William tailor England John wherry owner Gwyn Rev. R.M. curate Gilbert Wm. Alexander, Esq. Reynolds Amos vict., Cock Stout William blacksmith [see note below] Thurkettle William blacksmith [see note below] Smith Mary shopkeepers [sic] farmers Atkins Philip Burred William Curtis Richard High William Sieley William
Copyright © Pat Newby.