Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Calthorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

CALTHORPE, 3½ miles N. of Aylsham, has in its parish 214 souls, and 1056A. 3R. 3P. of land, mostly the property of the Earl of Orford, the impropriator of the rectory, and lord of the manor.

The Church (St. Margaret,) is a discharged vicarage, certified at £27, and valued, in 1831, at £143. The Norwich Charity Trustees are patrons, and the Rev. Wm. Heath Marsh, of Erpingham, is the incumbent. The glebe is 24A. 1R. 17P., and the tithes have been commuted for £140 to the vicar, and £195 per annum to the impropriator.

The Town Lands, &c., given by unknown donors, were mostly exchanged at the enclosure in 1821, and now consist of a house, barn, cottage, and 14A. 1R. 1P., let for £29. 10s. a year, formerly applied with the poor rates, but now distributed in clothing, fuel, &c.


	Burrell   John Elden   blacksmith
	Elden     Christopher  wheelwright
	Elden     John         wheelwright
	Lambert   Hy.          shoemaker
	Newstead  Benj.        timber merchant
	Newstead  John E.      grocer and wheelwright
	Platten   Robert       vict., Saracen's Head


	Gilham    Stephen
	Hook      Rd.
	Horner    Fras.
	Ives      Robert
	Platten   Robert
Pp. Newstead and Robert Woods, carriers to Norwich, Wednesday and Saturday.

Hook Hall and Kybald Hall are farm houses.

See also the Calthorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 1999