BUXTON is a pleasant and well-built village, on the west bank of the river Bure, nearly 4 miles S.S.E. of Aylsham. The parish contains 713 inhabitants, and 1274A.2R.23P. of land, the greater part of which belongs to Sir Edward H.J. Stracey, Bart., the lord of the manor, who purchased the advowson of the vicarage, and the rectorial tithes, of S. Bignold, Esq., except those portions of the latter held by other landowners.
Dudwick House, half a mile W. of the church, is an ancient mansion, with a well-wooded lawn and good estate, belonging to Jno. Wright, Esq., the occupant, and formerly the seat of the family of Dudwick. Buxton Old Hall, with a small estate, is the property of Mr. Thomas Lane. This manor had anciently the liberty of executing criminals, on Gallows hill, which has long been levelled, though it still retains the name of Gallows hill close.
The Church (St. Andrew,) has a square tower, with five bells, and contains many inscriptions to the families of Bedingfeld, Manning, Bulwer, &c. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5.13s.9d., is consolidated with the rectories of Skeyton and Oxnead, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Anson, whose relative, the late Lord Anson, was patron and lord of the manor. (See Skeyton.) Here is 35A.2R.4P. of glebe, and a commodious Vicarage House. Here are also about 59A. of glebe, belonging to the rectories of Skeyton and Oxnead.
The tithes of Buxton were commuted, in 1842, for the yearly payments of £110.15s.6d., to the incumbent; £246 to the impropriator, and £12 to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. One of the Workhouses of Aylsham Union, is situated here. A Petty Session is held here on the first Monday of every month; and Wm. Hill, of Marsham, is clerk to the magistrates.
At the enclosure, in 1809, a large tumulus on the common was levelled and granted to the parish, as a sand-pit. There were found in it some human bones, and a large urn in the shape of a bell, and about a dozen smaller ones, all with their mouths downwards; and under them was a layer of red earth, covering an oval cavity, (four feet by five,) filled with charcoal.
On the river is an extensive water-mill, and in the village is a Baptist Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1796. Here is also a Wesleyan Chapel, and the parish has the following charities:-
Allen Thomas farmer, Lodge Barton Jas. shoemkr Beck Wm. gardener Bell John parish clerk Bloom Wm. shoemkr Butterworth John gentleman Cooke and Gambling (John) corn millers and merchants Dunning Daniel blacksmith Earl Andrew Hodge vict. Crown Garwood Robert Workhouse School Hawes Hy. saddler Hayne Mrs My. Jarvis Rev George,B.D. curate, Vicarage Lane Thomas gent., Old Hall Leverage Richard schoolmaster Mack Rt. coal dealer & bricklayer Mann Robert James surgeon Parker Samuel shopkeeper Passon Benj. farmer, Hill Farm Pilgrim Robert tailor & draper Potter Thos. master of the Workhs. Rayson George joiner, wheelwright, and pump maker Russell James Edw. watchmaker Smith John shoemaker Tuck Mary shopkeeper Watts Thomas bricklayer and vict. Black Lion Watts Wm. bricklayer Wiggett Rd. baker and grocer Wright John, Esq. Dudwick House Wright John, sen. gentleman
See also the Buxton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.