[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BUXTON is a village 10 miles N. of Norwich, and 4 miles S.E. of Aylsham. The parish comprises an area of 1274 acres, and the population in 1841 was 713. Post-Office at Robert Pilgrim's. Letters delivered at 9 a.m. and despatched to Norwich, and all parts, via Aylsham, at 5 p.m.
Allen Mr. Thomas Barton James shoemaker Bloom William shoemaker Butterworth Mr. John Cook Edward hawker Cooke and Gambling millers and merchants Dunning John blacksmith Earl Andrew Hodge 'Crown' Fox Robert baker Gambling John, jun. miller Hardiment Robert butcher Hawes Richard saddler Jarvis Rev. George, B.D. (curate) Lane Mr. Thomas Leverage Richard school Mack Rt. D. bricklayer & coal dlr. Overed William veterinary surgeon Parker Samuel grocery dealer Passon Benjamin farmer Pilgrim Robert tailor and draper Rayson George joiner, wheelwright and pump maker Russell Jas. Edward watchmaker Smith Alfred butcher Smith John grocery dealer and shoemaker Watts Thomas 'Black Lion' (and bricklayer) Wiggett Mary Ann grocer and draper Wright John, Esq. Dudwick House Wright John, jun. Esq.
CARRIER to Norwich, Stibbons, Wed. & Sat. at 8 morn. Others also pass through three times a week.
See also the Buxton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.