BURSTON, 3 miles N.N.E. of Diss, on the Great Eastern Railway, is in Depwade union, Diss county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Diss hundred, petty sessional division and polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 406 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1405 acres; the rateable value is £2321 10s.
The soil belongs principally to Doughty's Hospital, Norwich, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, Mr. Charles Scales, Sir Kenneth Hagar Kemp, Bart., Sir A.K. Lake, Bart., Miss F. Tacon, and the Rev. F.G. Gill, M.A. The parish is in the following manors (fines arbitrary), viz., - Murch, Esq.'s manors of Brockdish and Mildim Hall; the Earl of Albemarle's manor of Winfarthing; and Heywood Hall, belonging to the trustees of the late Charles Layton, Esq.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a small fabric, comprising nave and chancel, with a small wooden turret containing one bell. The windows are very large, and are fine specimens of the Perpendicular style. The round tower fell down in 1757, when the peal of bells which it contained was sold to the neighbouring parish of Tibbenham. The remains of the door and steps leading to the rood loft may still be seen.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Temple Frere, M.A., J.P., who has a good residence, which was enlarged in 1862. The glebe is 60A., and the tithes have been commuted for £495 per annum.
The School Board was formed in 1875, and consists of the Rev. Henry Temple Frere, M.A., J.P. (chairman), the Rev. J.W. Millard, M.A., and Messrs. Henry Green, The Hall, William Eaton Carter, and James Self. Mr. Robert Borrett is clerk to the Board. A mixed school, to accommodate 87 scholars, with master's house attached, was erected in 1876, at a cost of about £800. Shimpling is included in this Board. The Board School was opened in 1876, and is attended by 87 children. Attached is a furnished residence for master.
Here is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel. The poor have 10s. a year from Chapman's charity, and the Town Pightle, value £1 10s.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Eldred Burrows's. Letters arrive at 7.15 a.m. from Diss, and despatched at 6 p.m. Sundays no arrival or departure. Diss is the nearest Money Order and Postal Telegraph Office, but there is a forwarding Telegraph Office only at Burston Railway station.
Arnwell William cottager Abon Frederick farmer, assessor, and collector of taxes, Bridge farm Baxter James farmer, Culptis farm Bell Jas. farmer, overseer, poor's rate collector, and surveyor of highways Boulton William farmer, shopkeeper, and parish clerk Burrows Eldred post messenger to Burston and Gissing from Diss post office Carter William Eaton farmer Colchester John Wilson farmer Cooper William shopkeeper Cross John miller Dixon Zachariah farmer, Doughty's Hospital farm Fisher Charles farmer Ford Robert carpenter Frere Rev. Henry Temple, M.A., J.P. Rectory Gill Rev. Frederick Garner, M.A. Hammond George farmer Inkson Thos. Harborrow stationmastr Ling Jabez farmer Ling William bootmaker Ling Zephaniah blacksmith Middleton John carpenter and beerhs Mullinger Robt. farmer, Burston hall Porcher Jno. Thos. carpenter & whlwrt Prentice Richard cowkeeper Robinson (Edward & Samuel) millers, merchants & colliery Bros. agents, near Railway Station, and at New Corn Exchange, Mark lane Sandy John builder Scales Charles farmer and landowner, Manor house Seaborn William victualler, Crown Inn Self Frederick farmer Self James farmer Sheppard Jno. Robt. Board schlmaster Smith William coal depôt, railway station; h Dickleburgh
RAILWAY STATION and forwarding telegraph office only; Thomas Harborrow Inkson, stationmaster
Copyright © Pat Newby.