Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Burston

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]

BURSTON, 3 miles N.N.E. of Diss, has in its parish 468 souls, and 1405 acres of land, belonging to many owners, and lying in the following manors, (fines arbitrary,) viz., the Rev. T.B. Morris's manors of Brockdish and Melding Hall; the Earl of Albemarle's manor of Winfarthing; and Heydon Hall, belonging to the trustees of the late Charles Layton, Esq.

The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a small fabric, with a wooden belfry. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Temple Frere. The glebe is about 60A., and the tithes have been commuted for £476 per annum.

Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel.

The poor have 20s. a year, from Chapman's charity and the Town Pightle.

	  Bale      Robert        bricklayer
	  Dixon     Charles       vict. Crown
	  Horn      William       shoemaker
	  Jarrett   John          corn miller
	  Ling      Joseph        blacksmith
	  Reeve     Rev. James    curate
	  Vyse      James         joiner

	     FARMERS. (* are Owners.)

	  Bell      James
	* Carter    Samuel
	* Dixon     Zach.
	  Esling    William
	  Esling    John
	  Gibson    Joseph
	  Gibson    Cornls.
	  Green     John
	* Kerry     John
	  Last      William
	* Scales    Robert
	* Spurling  Willm.        Hall
	  Thurlow   Edmd.
	  Tyrrell   George

	     Grocers, &c.

	  Booty     Sarah
	  Dixon     William
	  Hunt      Thomas
	  Holmes    James

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Burston parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2001