Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Burnham Sutton with Ulph

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BURNHAM ULPH and SUTTON now form one parish, on the Wells Railway, with a number of houses adjoining the east end and forming part of the town of Burnham Westgate. The parish is in Brothercross hundred, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Docking union, West Norfolk polling district, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Burnham deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. Its rateable value is £1911 15s. 11d. It contains 319 inhabitants, and 1456 acres of land, chiefly lying in two farms: Crab Hall farm, about 1000 acres, belonging to the Earl of Leicester, and the other, of 450 acres, called Muckleton, the property of the Earl of Orford, and lying about 2 miles west of the church.

Sutton CHURCH (St. Ethelbert) has long been a venerable ruin, consisting only of the tower and part of the north wall of the nave. Ulph CHURCH (All Saints) is a small edifice, comprising nave, south porch, chancel, and small bell-cot with one bell on the western gable. The chancel was restored in 1879, at a cost of £200, but the nave is filled with unsightly pews, the west window is blocked up by a gallery, and the walls are covered with whitewash. The Registers date from 1653.

The rectory of Burnham Sutton, valued in the King's Book at £17 10s., is now worth £704 per annum, with the vicarage of Burnham Overy and medieties of the rectories of Burnham Norton and Ulph annexed. It is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. S.E. Blomefield, who has 30A. of glebe, and a good residence, purchased in 1859, and known as the Nunnery. The other medieties of Norton and Ulph are annexed to Burnham Westgate. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for a tithe rent-charge of £384 10s., the glebe is 16 acres. The rector has also £157 and 18 acres of glebe from Burnham Overy, £126 10s. and a half-rent of 32 acres of glebe from Burnham Norton, and £38 5s. from Burnham Westgate.

Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1828. The Plymouth Brethren have a preaching room here.

POST viâ Lynn. Burnham Westgate is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Atkins     James          stationmaster
	Blomefield Rev. S.E.      rector
	Calver     Mr Henry
	Claxton    Ephraim        machinist &c. Burnham Westgate
	Ellis      Mr John
	Franklin   Noah           bricklayer
	Hillen     Henry          blacksmith
	Howard     Robert         butcher
	Neale      Charles        victualler, Nelson
	Overman    John           farmer, Crab hall
	Parsons    Austin Hy.     farmer, Muckleton
	Porritt    William Love   maltster, corn, cake, & manure
	                            merchant; h Burnham Overy

Burnham (G.E. Railway) Station.
Trains to Heacham and Wells several times a day, in connection with all parts

See also the Burnham Sutton with Ulph parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2007