BURNHAM ULPH AND SUTTON now form one parish, with a small village, adjoining the east end of the market town of Burnhan [sic] Westgate, and comprising 355 inhabitants, and 1,450A. of land, chiefly lying in two farms, one belonging to the Earl of Leicester, and the other called Muckleton, the property of the Earl of Orford, and distant 2 miles S.W. of the village.
Sutton Church (All Saints,) has long been a venerable ruin; but it is all gone, except the tower and part of the north wall of the nave.
Ulph Church, dedicated to St. Albert or Ethelbert, is a small edifice, with a single bell, hanging between two turrets at the west end.
The rectory of Burnham Sutton, valued in the King's Book at £17 10s., and in 1831 at £669, is in the gift of the Crown, and is enjoyed by the Hon. and Rev. Fredk. Hotham, M.A., with the vicarage of Burnham Overy. Annexed to it are medieties of the rectories of Burnham Norton and Ulph, and the other moiety of the latter is annexed to Burnham Westgate.
The Methodists have a small chapel here.
Waller John victualler, Nelson Beverley Robert bricklayer Allen William shoemaker Bolton Misses The Nunnery [see note below] Boor Robert bricklayer Carr Geo. blacksmith and beerhouse Curson William joiner, &c. Ellis William butcher Hillen Thomas baker Mack Wm., jun. farmer, Muckleton Overman John Robert farmer and chief constable Peirson Mrs. The Nunnery [see note below] Porritt Dd. linen manufr., maltster, and seed merchant Raydon Benjamin shoemaker Sainty J. and R. ironmongers, and brass and iron founders
The names of the churches appear to have been wrongly attributed. St Ethelbert's at Burnham Sutton is in ruins. All Saints is still in use.
Copyright © Pat Newby.