Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Burnham Overy

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BURNHAM OVERY parish has 613 inhabitants, and 1,863 acres of land, and includes the large village of Burnham Overy Staith, situated nearly 2 miles N.N.E. of Burnham Market, on a rivulet or creek, which crosses the salt-marshes by two channels to the ocean, and is navigable for vessels of 60 or 90 tons up to the Staith, where the spring tides rise 9 or 10 feet, and where a considerable trade in coal and corn is carried on, as well as in oysters, of which there is an excellent bed in the offing, where 5 boats and 15 fishermen are regularly employed.

The CHURCH (St. Clement,) stands on a bold eminence, a mile S. of the Staith, near the Wells road, and the remains of an ancient cross; 1 mile N.E. of Burnham Market. It has a short square tower, surmounted by a turret and bell; and in the same enclosure there was formerly another church, dedicated to St. Andrew, but no traces of it now remain; the cures being consolidated in 1421, as a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Hon. and Rev. Fdk. Hotham, M.A., of Dennington, Suffolk, is the incumbent. The CHURCH land is 4A. 37P.

Peterstone-house, with its farm, at the south-east end of the parish, is the site of a hospital and chapel, called St. Peter de Patra, and anciently belonging to a religious community, who had a free chantry or oratory, granted them by the priory of Walsingham. At the dissolution, its site was granted to the Bishop of Norwich, and is now held of the See by the Earl of Leicester, who owns several other portions of the parish; but the greater part belongs to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor, and impropriator of the rectorial tithes; - commuted at £244, and the vicarial at £157 per annum.

Marked * are at the Staith.

	  Balls     Thos. and John   gentlemen
	  Belding   George           joiner
	* Bush      Hy.              vict., Jolly Sailors
	* Cringle   William          master mariner
	* Dewing    Rd. & Co.        maltsters and corn, coal, &c. merchants
	  Edge      Francis          bricklayer
	* Fuller    James            vict., Ship Victory
	* Hull      Jas. & Hy.       corn, coal, and coke merchants
	  Lake      John Stringer    wheelwright and vict., Ostrich Inn
	  Mack and
	    Wiseman                  corn and coal merchants
	* Nelson    Nathaniel        miller and baker
	  Pegg      John             brickmaker
	* Priest    Samuel           shoemaker
	  Read      James            corn miller
	* Savory    John             miller and maltster
	* Tooley    Hy.              bricklayer & vict., Horse Shoes
	  Wright    William          veterinary surgeon

	     Blacksmiths.               FARMERS.

	  Kendall   John           * Foulger   Mrs.
	* Smith     William          Hamond    Miles
	                             Waters    George, Marsh House
	     Shopkeepers.            Waters    John
	                           * Wiseman   Geo.
	  Lewis     Mary
	  Stapleton Ann

See also the Burnham Overy parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2007