Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Burnham Norton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BURNHAM NORTON, 1 mile N. of Burnham Market, is a parish, with a small humble village in a gentle ascent above the marshes, comprising 166 inhabitants, and 1,151 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Orford, the lord of the manor.

The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Margaret, is above half a mile south of the village, on the western acclivity of a fertile valley. It has a round tower, and is in the patronage of the Crown; but the rectory is in two medieties consolidated with Burnham Sutton and Burnham Westgate. On the pulpit are painted the four doctors of the church; and on the screen, the figures of eight saints. In the aisle are memorials of the ancestors of the late Lord Chancellor Thurlow. The Rev. Michael Terry, B.A., of Brancaster, is the curate.

A priory of white friars, founded here about 1240, was granted at the dissolution, to Wm. Lord Cobham.

Directory:-

	Brown    John      joiner
	Johnson  Richd.    blacksmith
	Loose    Wm.       wheelwright and beerseller
	Mack     Wm.       farmer
	Priest   Robt.     coal dealer
	Taylor   Henry     farmer

See also the Burnham Norton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2002