BURNHAM DEEPDALE is a small village, seated on a gentle acclivity above the salt marshes, 2½ miles N.W. of Burnham Market, and sheltered on the south by a range of hills, clothed with wood. It is in Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Brothercross hundred, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 96 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1024 acres of land, of which 300 are marsh, enclosed under an Act passed in 1821 for draining, embanking, and improving about 700 acres of salt marshes in this and the adjacent parishes of Burnham Norton and Burnham Overy. The rateable value is £1471. The trustees of the late Henry Blyth, Esq., are owners of the soil and lords of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) consists of nave, chancel, and round Norman tower with one bell, and north aisle. The font is square and very massive, and is supposed to be of Saxon work, as it contains no mark or symbol relating to religion. On three of its sides are round-headed panels, in which are rudely sculptured twelve figures engaged in various works of husbandry, corresponding to the months of the year, the Latin names of some of which are boldly carved over their heads. It is supported on five shafts placed there in 1875. On the fourth side is merely a little ornamental leaf work.
In 1855 the church was well restored, paved with encaustic tiles, and furnished with new pews, pulpit, and reading desk at a cost of £300. At the same time the east window, which is a Decorated one of three lights, was filled with stained glass in memory of the Rev. E.G. Blyth, a late rector; and one on the south side of the chancel was similiarly enriched in memory of John and Elizabeth Overman. The church has again been repaired. Here are several marble tablets of the Blyth, Rodwell, and Lane families.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward Kerslake Kerslake, B.A., who has 42 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £261, awarded in 1845, and a handsome Elizabethan residence built in 1839.
The School, erected in 1844 by the late Rev. E.G. Blyth, is supported by the rector.
POST from Lynn. Brancaster is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. Burnham is the nearest Railway Station.
Archbould Steed Girdlestone farmer Kerslake Rev. Edward Kerslake, B.A. rector Lane Miss Christiana schoolmistress Smith William parish clerk
Copyright © Pat Newby.