BURNHAM DEEPDALE is a small village, seated on a gentle acclivity above the salt marshes, 2½ miles N.W. of Burnham Market, and is sheltered on the south by a range of lofty hills, finely clothed with wood. Its parish contains 109 inhabitants, and 1,014 acres of land, of which 300 are marsh, enclosed under an act passed in 1821, for draining, embanking, and improving about 700A. of salt marshes, in this and the adjacent parishes of Burnham Norton and Burnham Overy.
The trustees of Hy. Blyth, Esq., are owners of the soil, lords of the manor, and patrons of the CHURCH, (St. Mary,) which has a round tower, and an ancient font standing on five pilasters. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11, and in 1831 at £258, has 42A. of glebe, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Gwyn Blyth, A.M.
The other principal residents are Geo. Fox, vict, Plough; and George Rodwell, farmer.
The tithes were commuted in 1845.
Copyright © Pat Newby.