BURLINGHAM (SOUTH), or Burlingham St. Edmund, is a small village and parish, 9 miles E. by S. of Norwich, in Blofield union, Norwich county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Blofield hundred, Blofield petty sessional division, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 74 inhabitants in 1881, living on 646 acres, and has a rateable value of £1234.
The parish belongs to Mrs. Burroughes and the trustees of the late H.N. Burroughes, Esq., the latter being lords of the manor.
The CHURCH is an interesting building of mixed architecture, chiefly Early English and Perpendicular. It is covered with thatch, and consists of nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with three bells. The chancel was partially restored in 1872 by the present rector. It has two Norman doorways, but that on the north side is bricked up. The pulpit is of richly-carved oak, and of the date of the early part of the 15th century. The painting and gilding upon it remain perfect, and attached is the Jacobean hour-glass stand with its original glass. The rood-screen and several oak benches are also finely carved, and here are a few remains of ancient stained glass.
A curious and well-preserved fresco painting was discovered in 1856 on the south wall of the chancel, representing the murder of Thomas à Becket. The figures are three-fourths life size, and remarkably well executed. On the north wall is a painting of St. Christopher, but not in so perfect a state as the other.
The rectory is consolidated with that of Lingwood.
LETTERS, via North Burlingham, which is the nearest Money Order Office, arrive at 7 a.m. and are despatched at 5 p.m.
Barcham Ezra Thomas farmer Dawson William farmer Read Mr George Skinner Harry farmer
"for 'Norfolk' [archdeaconry], read 'Norwich'."
Copyright © Pat Newby.