BURLINGHAM (NORTH) is a scattered village, on and near the Yarmouth turnpike, from 8 to 9 miles E. of Norwich, lying in the two parishes of Burlingham St. Andrew and St. Peter, the former of which has 178 inhabitants and 750 acres, and the latter 64 inhabitants and about 405 acres of land. It is in Blofield hundred and union, Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
St. Andrew's has a population of 178, living on 799A. 3R. 3P., and a rateable value of £1616. 15s. St.Peter's has 64 inhabitants, living on 399A. 0R. 25P., and a rateable value of £916. 10s.
Part of Burlingham St. Andrew belongs to William Heath Jary, Esq. of Burlingham House, a spacious brick mansion, built in 1790, and surrounded by pleasant grounds; and nearly all the other land in the two parishes is the property of Mrs. Burroughes, of Burlingham Hall, a large mansion, with a richly-wooded lawn of about 100 acres.
The two churches are within a quarter of a mile of each other. ST. ANDREW'S is a fine building, consisting of nave, north aisle, chancel, south porch, and square tower with three bells, and was restored in 1873 by Mrs. Burroughes and the late rector, at a cost of £1405. 8s. 11d. It is chiefly of Perpendicular architecture, but the north and south doors of the nave are Early English, and the east window is of the Decorated period. The hood moulding over the entrance to the porch is curiously enriched, and the north aisle extends beyond the nave to part of the chancel. The roof of the latter is hidden by a ceiling, but the nave roof is remarkably fine, being of richly-decorated open work, with carved figures on the corbels, and angels with extended wings on the hammer beams. The rood-screen has upon its lower panels beautifully painted figures of St. Withburga, St. Benedict, St. Edward the King, St. Thomas the Martyr, St. John the Baptist, St. Cecilia, St. Walstan, St. Catherine, St. Edmund, and St. Etheldreda.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and now at £530, in the gift of Mrs. Burroughes, and in the incumbency of the Rev. C.C. McArthur. The rectory house is an ancient brick building, repaired and enlarged in 1873-4, at an outlay of £1099. 8s. 1d. The tithes of St. Andrew's have been commuted for £300; there are 11A. of glebe and there are 2A. of poor's land. The rectories of St. Peter and St. Andrew have been united by Order in Council, the total value of the amalgamated living being £478.
ST. PETER'S is a small Perpendicular church, comprising nave, chancel, north porch, and tower, and was restored in 1874 by Mrs. Burroughes and the late rector, at a cost of £2306. The tower contains three bells, and is round at the base and octagonal above. The screen and piscina still remain; and here are several tablets of the Burroughes family, and one to the late Colonel Sir George Charles Hoste, C.B. The tithes of St. Peter's have been commuted for £152, and here are 10A. of glebe. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, is in the same patronage and incumbency as St. Andrew's.
The parish clerk has an acre of land.
The children of St. Peter's and St. Andrew's attend the school at Lingwood, which is supported by Mrs. Burroughes.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Charles Farman's. Letters are received at 5.50 a.m. via Norwich, and despatched at 5 p.m. Nearest Telegraph Office at Blofield. This is now a Money Order Office.
Burroughes Mrs. Burlingham hall Littlewood James farm bailiffST. ANDREW.
Broom John farm bailiff Farman Charles wheelwright, blacksmith, &c. and shopkeeper Hammond Robert parish clerk Jary William Heath Esq., J.P. Burlingham house Littlewood Mrs Charlotte farmer McArthur Rev. Charles Rectory; asso. sec. to the Chapman M.R.A.S. C.M.S. for Norfolk Thrower John blacksmith & shopkpr
Copyright © Pat Newby.