BURLINGHAM (NORTH,) is a scattered village, on and near the Yarmouth turnpike, 9 miles E. of Norwich, lying in the two parishes of Burlingham St. Andrew and St. Peter, the former of which has 214 souls, and 859 acres, and the latter 91 souls, and about 400 acres of land.
Part of the former belongs to Wm. Jary, Esq., of Burlingham House, a neat mansion, built in 1790; and nearly all the other land in the two parishes is the property of Henry Negus Burroughes, Esq., M.P., one of the representatives of East Norfolk, who resides at Burlingham Hall, a large cemented mansion, with a richly-wooded lawn of nearly 100 acres.
The two Churches are within a quarter of a mile of each other. St. Andrew's is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £560, with that of Burlingham St. Edmund annexed to it, in the gift of H.N. Burroughes, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. J. Burroughes, of Lingwood. The tithes of St. Andrew's have been commuted for £300, and those of St. Edmund's parish for £292.6s. There are 11A. of glebe in the former, and 10A. in the latter. The former has also 2A. of poor's land, and the latter one acre.
St. Peter's is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and is in the same patronage and incumbency as the above. It has 10A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £148.13s., in lieu of tithes.
The parish clerk has an acre of land.
The patron supports a School for 40 children of St. Andrew's and St. Peter's parishes, and the rector supports another for 20 children of St. Edmund's.
Burcham Saml. shopkeeper Jary Wm., Esq. Nurse Rev. Perry, B.A. curate Postle John farmer Starling Edm. schoolmaster Thurtle Philip blacksmith Tooley George showmaker Willis John wheelwrightSt. Peter's
Aldous Robert farmer Burroughes H.N., Esq., M.P. Hall Capon Henry cattle dealer Goulder Wm. farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.