[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BURGH ST. PETER, or Wheatacre Burgh, is the most south-eastern parish of Norfolk, lying in the vale of the Waveney, 6 miles E. by N. of Beccles, and 12 miles S. by W. of Yarmouth. It is in Loddon union, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering petty sessional division, Toft Monk's polling district of Norfolk, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 359 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1979 acres, and has a rateable value of £2837 6s. 4d., and a gross estimated rental of £3079 6s. 4d. It belongs to the trustees of the late R.H. Gurney, Esq., Marcus John Grimmer, Esq., and others. The vale of the Waveney, as far as this and the adjacent parishes, was anciently a large estuary, and a Roman station is commonly supposed to have been placed here, but neither coins, pottery, nor other remains, have been found to warrant the tradition.
The CHURCH is an ancient thatched structure, comprising an unusually long nave, a chancel, a south porch, and a singular brick tower of six diminishing stages, surmounted by a cross. The interior was restored in 1872 by the present rector. There is a piscina in the chancel, and in a field adjoining are the ruins of what appears to have been another church.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 6s. 8d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. William Boycott, B.A., who has 15 acres of glebe, a yearly rent-charge of £374 in lieu of tithes, and a commodious residence about a mile west of the church.
The WESLEYAN CHAPEL, near Wheatacre and Aldeby, is in this parish, and was enlarged in 1835; and the PRIMITIVE METHODISTS have also a chapel here, built in 1864.
The children attend the Board School, situated in the parish of Wheatacre All Saints. Near the church is a wharf for landing bricks, coals, &c. At the enclosure in 1811 about 13 acres were allotted to the poor for fuel, and the rent, amounting to £36 a year, is distributed in coal.
POST OFFICE at Mr. T.H. Morris's. Letters, viâ Beccles, arrive at 10 a.m., and depart at 4.30 p.m.
Bayley Edward sexton Boon Robert farmer; h Beccles Boycott Captain Charles Boycott Rev. William, B.A. rector, The Rectory Chilvers Samuel farm bailiff Cooper George farmer & marshman Cooper James market gardener Flaxman Charles Fredk. shoemaker Godbold Robert market gardener Grimmer Alfd. whlwright. & carpenter Grimmer Henry foreman Hammond George farmer Jeffries (George) & Clarke (Henry) millers and merchants Jex William farmer, guardian and overseer, The Shrublands Lewis John vict. Waveney Inn, Staithe Mills William shoemaker Moore Oliver beerhouse Morris Thomas Hammond grocer, draper, corn chandler, postmaster, and assessor of taxes Parker John farmer Parker William coal merchant Sayer John farmer Stevens William blacksmith Tripp Daniel fish curer and market gardener Westrop John farmer
See also the Burgh St Peter parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.