[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BURGH ST. PETER, or Wheatacre Burgh, is the most south-eastern parish of Norfolk, lying in the vale of the Waveney, 6 miles E. by N. of Beccles, and 12 miles S. by W. of Yarmouth. It contains many scattered houses, 312 inhabitants, and 1979A. of land, belonging to several proprietors, among whom Sir Edw. Kerrison is the largest, and also lord of the manor. The vale of the Waveney, as far as this and the adjacent parishes, was anciently a large estuary, (see p. 236 [which is part of the History of Yarmouth],) and marine stores, coins, &c., have been often found here.
The CHURCH is a long thatched edifice, with a singular brick tower. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £330, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. William Boycatt.
At the enclosure, in 1811, 13 acres were allotted to the poor for fuel, and is now let for £16 a year, which is distributed in coals.
Here is a National School, built about two years ago.
Boycatt Rev. Wm. Rectory Huke Edward smith and beer seller Parker Wm. vict. Marsh House farmers. Boon Wm. (owner) Brewster Martin Ellis Thomas (owner) Flaxman Benjamin and James Sayer Wm. Wooltorton James
See also the Burgh St Peter parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.