[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BURGH, or Burgh-next-Aylsham, is a village and parish, on the east side of the Bure, 2 miles S.E. of Aylsham, in Aylsham union and county court district, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery and Norfolk [sic, should be Norwich] archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £1546, and had 219 inhabitants in 1881, living on 789 acres.
Mrs. Edmund Burr is lady of the manor, and she and the Rev. Edmund Telfer Yates, M.A., J.P., are the chief owners of the soil. The Hall, which is a spacious red brick mansion, was rebuilt in 1842, and enlarged in 1862. Part of the Old Hall is still standing, and in the moat which surrounds it, a helmet and some arrows of the Cromwellian [?] period and part of the stone work of a swing bridge were discovered some years ago.
The CHURCH (St. Peter [sic, should be St. Mary]) is a thatched edifice, comprising nave, chancel, with beautiful lancet windows unequalled in the county, north porch, and fine tower with one bell. The holy water stoup still remains in the porch. The chancel was built early in the 13th century, but was shortened probably in the 16th. On its restoration some years ago, it was lengthened to its original size, and covered with a new oak roof of Early English character. On the north side a chapel was built, and the old brick buttresses, supporting the old walls of the chancel, replaced with Early English stone buttresses. The cost of the entire work was about £1000, principally defrayed by the then rector, the Rev. E.T. Yates.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 17s. 1d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Barnes. The glebe is 12 acres, and the tithes have been commuted for £280 per annum.
From the many coins, urns, &c. found here, Burgh is supposed to have been a Roman station. A School is supported by subscription, and here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel.
POST viâ Norwich. Pillar Letter Box cleared at 3.40 p.m. Aylsham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Barnes Rev. Thomas rector Brown William & Son corn millers and Oxnead Burr Mrs Case Wm. farmer; h Tullington [sic] Faircloth Mrs. schoolmistress Learner E.T. farmer, Manor farm Mack James bootmaker Murdoch Mrs Mary Ann shopkeeper Plant Mrs Elizth. vict. Fighting Cocks Postle Rev. J. rector of Felmingham Spink Robert parish clerk Trivett Thomas farm bailiff Yates Rev. Edmund Telfer, M.A. J.P. Burgh hall
See also the Burgh next Aylsham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.