Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Burgh next Aylsham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

BURGH, or Burgh-next-Aylsham, is a village and parish, on the east side of the Bure, 2 miles S.E. of Aylsham, and contains 314 souls, and 789 acres of land, mostly belonging to J.H. Holley, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at Burgh Hall, a neat mansion, with a fine lawn, and is patron of the Church, (St. Mary,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 17. 1d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Edward Holley, B.A. The glebe is 12A., and the tithes have been commuted for £255 per annum.

From its name, and many coins, urns, &c., found here, Burgh is supposed to have been a Roman station.

Mrs. Holley supports a National School.

Directory:

	Holley  Jas. Hunt, Esq.  Hall

	Browne  Robert           miller
	Goodson Robert           shoemaker
	Hudson  Jane             schoolmistress
	Medley  Robert           shoemaker and shopkeeper
	Postle  Henry            wheelwright
	Postle  Robt.            shopkeeper
	Postle  Robert, jun.     vict., Fighting Cocks
	Thorne  Robert           farmer
	Wright  Chas.            blacksmith and beer seller

See also the Burgh next Aylsham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 1999