Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Bunwell

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BUNWELL, a large scattered village, 3 miles N.E. by E. of New Buckenham, 4 miles S.E. of Attleborough, and 13 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, is in Depwade union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Depwade hundred and petty sessional division, Attleborough polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 861 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2423 acres, and has a rateable value of £3456.

The soil belongs to various owners, the largest of whom is Sir Robert J. Buxton, Bart., who is lord of the manors of Bunwell, Baynard's Hall, and Peri's Hall (fines arbitrary). John Mitchell's executors have a small manor called Beachams-in-Bunwell, and Clarke Stoughton, Esq. is lord of Tibenham-with-Carlton, which is partly in this parish.

The CHURCH (St. Michael) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and lofty tower containing six bells, and stands in an elevated situation, so that it can be seen from a great distance. The roof is of open timber; the windows are large, and good specimens of Perpendicular workmanship, especially that at the east end, which is of five lights. The font is of carved stone and very ancient, and the porch is built of large flints intersected with Caen stone. The altar-piece is a painting of the circumcision of Christ.

The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, now having a yearly rent-charge of £700, awarded in 1836 in lieu of tithes. Sir R.J. Buxton, Bart., is patron, and the Rev. Henry Dawson, M.A., of Torquay, Devonshire, is the incumbent, for whom the Rev. T.W. Whistler officiates.

A large and handsome Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1876.

Here is a School Board, formed in 1878; it now consists of Messrs. W. Burton (chairman), N. Lanham, R. Smith, J. Brown, and W. Long. New Schools, capable of accommodating 120 children, and having teacher's residence attached, were built in 1878.

The Town Land, which has been vested in trust from an early period for paying tenths and fifteenths, repairing the church, &c., consists of 16A. 1R. 22P., partly in Wymondham and Carleton Rode, and is let for £22, which is applied with the church rates, except 20s. for the poor. The Fuel Allotment, 18A. 1R. 22P., awarded at the enclosure in 1812, is let for £20, and is expended in coals.

POST OFFICE at Mrs. Jemima Roper's. Despatch viâ Attleborough at 6.30 p.m.; delivery at 8 a.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, New Buckenham.

	Abon       William          carpenter and wheelwrt
	Ayton      Isaac            farmer and owner
	Barker     Fredk.           wheelwrt. & blacksmith
	Barker     Thomas           farmer
	Barnard    George           shoemaker
	Bateman    James            farmer
	Bayes      James            grocer and draper
	Betts      Wm.              farmer & owner, Peri's hall
	Brown      George           farmer
	Brown      John             butter merchant
	Brown      John             farmer
	Brown      Walter           farmer
	Burton     William          farmer and owner
	Cadamey    Jonathan         victualler, Crown and Anchor
	Carter     Mrs Mary         shopkeeper
	Casey      Lambert          tailor
	Chapman    Mrs E.A.         schoolmistress
	Chapman    Stephen          farmer
	Colman     Thomas           farmer
	Daines     William          shoemaker
	Dordery    Wm.              farmer, Baynard's hall
	Everett    Richard          farmer
	Francis    Charles          farmer and machinist
	Francis    John             shopkeeper and dealer
	Gainer     William          farmer
	Grant      William          farmer and woodman
	Gunns      Robert           farmer
	Hales      Wm.              beerhouse, Prince of Wales
	Hardiman   Charles          farmer
	Hardiman   James            farmer
	Hardiman   Robert           farmer
	Hardiman   William          shopkeeper
	Hinchley   George           farmer
	Hotson     John             frmr.; h Long Stratton
	Humphrey   George           beerhouse, Trowel and Hammer
	Jolly      George           thatcher
	Knights    James            farmer and machinist
	Lanham     Nelson           frmr.; Tollgate farm
	Long       John             shoemaker
	Long       William          farmer and owner
	Mears      Horace           farmer
	Moore      William          farmer
	Mutimer    John             farmer
	Newman     John             shopkeeper
	Rix        Henry            farmer and owner
	Rush       John             victualler, Queen's Head
	Saunders   Robert           farmer
	Sheldrake  Isaac            machinist
	Smith      John             victualler, Farriers' Arms
	Smith      Robert, jun.     bldr. and brickmkr
	Trudgill   Frederick James  plumber, painter, and glazier
	Tubby      Daniel           carpenter and builder
	West       Wm. Jas.         plumber and glazier
	Whistler   Rev. Thomas W.   curate
	Willingham Thomas

CARRIERS - Stephen Linstead, Old Buckenham and Norwich, Wed. and Sat; George Filby, New Buckenham and Norwich, Wed. and Sat


See also the Bunwell parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2015