BUNWELL, a large scattered village, 2½ miles N.E. by E. of New Buckenham, and 13 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 1001 inhabitants, and 2423 acres of fertile land, belonging to various owners, the largest of whom is Sir Robert Jacob Buxton, Bart., who was born in 1829, and is lord of the manors of Bunwell, Baynard's Hall, and Pere's hall, (fines arbitrary;) but the Rev. James Stoughton has a small manor called Beaucham-in-Bunwell.
The Church (St. Michael,) has a fine tower and south porch, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, and now having a yearly rent of £700, awarded in 1836 in lieu of tithes. Sir R. J. Buxton is patron, and the Rev. H. Dawson incumbent.
The Town Land, which has been vested in trust from an early period for paying tenths and fifteenths, repairing the church, &c., consists of 16A. 1R. 22P., partly in Wymondham and Carleton Rode, and is let for £22, which is applied with the church rates, except 20s. for the poor.
The Fuel Allotment, 18A. 1R. 22P., awarded at the enclosure in 1812, is let for £10.
Abon Jeremiah joiner & shopkeeper Austin Wm. corn miller Barnard George shoemaker Blake Richard blacksmith Caisey Charles tailor Dannock J. shopr [See note below] Hardy Chas. shopr [See note below] Hardy James shoemaker Jolly Henry tailor Kemp Samuel grocer and draper Morley David wheelwright Roper John boarding school Rollinson Rev Wm. curate Smith John vict. Anchor Stimpson Sar. Ann vict. Queen's Hd Tubby Charles carpenter FARMERS. (* are owners) Baker Henry Bale Simon and Edward Barker Matthew and Robert Betts Wm. *Burton Wm. Cocks Samuel Colman Wm. Everett Richard Feltham J. Forster Wm. Hardy George and John Harvey Watts Lanham Nelson Lister John *Long Ann and Margaret *Page James Seaman Wm. Stubbins Thomas *Sturman Robt. Thurston Thos. Youells Jas. (& cattle dealer) Youngman Thos.
Copyright © Pat Newby.