BUCKENHAM-TOFTS, or Buckenham Parva, is a parish on the river Wissey, 6 miles N.E. of Brandon Railway Station, and 8 miles N. by W. of Thetford. It is in Swaffham union and county court district, King's Lynn bankruptcy district, Grimshoe hundred and petty sessional division, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 49 inhabitants in 1881, living on 931 acres, and has a rateable value of £345.
The HALL, a large, handsome mansion in an extensive and well-wooded park, belonging with the manor to William Amhurst Tyssen Amherst, Esq., M.P., Didlington Hall. Buckenham-Tofts Hall was founded in the reign of Charles II. by a Mr. Vincent.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) was desecrated many years ago, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3, is a small sinecure.
The school is at Ickburgh.
POST from Brandon, via Mundford Railway Sub-Office, which is the nearest Money Order Office. Letters arrive at 7 a.m. and depart at 5 p.m., except Sundays, when there is no post.
Horrex J. farm steward
Copyright © Pat Newby.