Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Buckenham Tofts

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BUCKENHAM-TOFTS, or Buckenham Parva, is a parish on the river Wissey, 8 miles N. by W. of Thetford, containing only 77 inhabitants, 552 acres, a few cottages, and the HALL, a large handsome mansion, in an extensive park, on both sides of the river, belonging, with the manor, to the Rt. Hon. Alex. Baring, who was created LORD ASHBURTON in 1835, and resides here occasionally, with his younger son, the Hon. Fras. Baring. His other seats are the Grange, Hants., and Ashburton, Devonshire. Buckenham-Tofts Hall was founded in the reign of Charles II., by a Mr. Vincent.

The Church (St. Andrew) was desecrated many years ago, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3, is a small sinecure, belonging to the Rev. T. Newman. The ruins were cleared away about 22 years since, and the churchyard now forms part of the pleasure grounds near the hall.

Part of the parish is farmed by Mr. Oldfield, of Ashill.


See also the Buckenham Tofts parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2009