BUCKENHAM (OLD) is a large village of detached houses, skirting a pleasant green of 40 acres, shaded with trees, and distant about 2 miles N. by W. of New Buckenham, and 3 miles S. by E. of Attleborough. It is in Guiltcross union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Attleborough polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 1146 inhabitants in 1881, living on 4986 acres, and has a rateable value of £7566.
The principal landowners are Richard Bird, Esq., Thomas Bird, Esq., Wm. Thos. George, Esq., Christopher Wm. Smith, Esq., Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart., J. and J. Colman, Esqrs., J.O.H. Taylor, Esq., trustees of John Gall, executors of Henry Norton Palmer, Edward Dade Palmer, William Thomas Simpson, H.J. Banyard, Esq., and W.T. Bud, Esq. Old Buckenham Lodge, which was recently purchased by Francis John Gurney, Esq., from A.T. Cockell, is pleasantly situated in a well-wooded park of about 40 acres.
The fee of this place was given by William the Conqueror to William d'Albini, whose son was commonly called 'William with the strong hand,' from his having (as the legends of chivalry relate) killed a lion by thrusting his arm down its throat, after having been thrown into its den by the Queen of France, who was enraged by his refusing the offer of her hand, he being previously affianced to the widow of Henry I., whom he subsequently married. He became Earl of Arundel, in 1139, when he assumed the lion for his crest.
His father, disliking the old Saxon castle here, erected a new castle, a little farther to the east, upon the ancient earthworks, which still exist, and like those of Castle Acre, Rising, Hedingham, and Norwich, comprise a circular work. This fortress consisted of a keep, two circular towers, a grand entrance tower, a barbican, and embattled walls, surrounded by a moat; but nothing now remains except the keep and a few ruined fragments of the gateway.
The second William d'Albini founded a Priory here in 1085, for Augustine canons. At the Dissolution it was valued at £131 11s., and granted to Sir Thomas Knyvet. But few traces of it now remain, though the foundations of its conventual church were extant in Blomefield's time.
The Parish CHURCH (All Saints) is an ancient thatched edifice, comprising nave, chancel, north aisle, and octagonal tower with six bells; and was reseated in 1859. The perpetual curacy, now worth £100 per annum, is in the patronage of the inhabitants, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Fulcher, B.A. It was augmented by a parliamentary grant of £800, in 1769, and £200 given by William Holbeck, Esq., in 1768.
The Baptists, Sandemanians, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
The Poor Lands comprise 5A. 1R. 22P. of land, left by Robert Laughter, in 1622; and 4A. 1R. 11P., left by Andrew Reeder, in the year 1565. The Town Lands, 28A. 17P., were partly allotted at the enclosure in 1790. The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure, comprise 80A. 2R. 17P., on which the poor cut turf, and 16A. 2R. 3P. The latter, with the herbage of the former, is let. In 1861, Mr. Robert Cocks, of London, erected here a handsome range of buildings, comprising ten almshouses, for ten poor persons of this his native parish.
By a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated August 16, 1861, all the charities were amalgamated, including Sturdivant's, Laughter's, Reeder's, The Fen, the Overseer's Land, Church Land, Harvey's Charity, Girling's Charity, and the Rectory trust, and twelve trustees appointed to administer the funds, which in 1881 produced £167 15s., the properties being let from Michaelmas, 1877, for a period of eight years, ending October 11, 1885.
The proceeds were distributed as follows, viz.:- 50 tons of coal, £50; clothing to 209 families at 1s. per head, £33; churchwardens, about £34; school, £28; surveyor, £4 10s.; payment to vicar, £16 13s. 4d. Rev. Thomas Fulcher, vicar, Major William George Keppel, Messrs. W.T. Simpson, Richard Bird, John Gall, C.W. Smith, William Frost, G.P. Johnson, William Scales, W.G. Hammond, and Richard Bowles are the present trustees, and Mr. Edwin Henry Reade is clerk.
The school is under the management of the trustees. The Parochial School was built in 1841, and is chiefly supported by an endowment of £30 10s., derived from the rent of 16A. 21P. of land, purchased with £100 left by Matthew Sturdivant, in 1604. A sum of £50, left by Hugh Harvey, in 1720, has been applied towards the erection of the School. The school, with master's residence attached, will accommodate 160 scholars, and the infant school, now used as a class-room, will accommodate 60; the average attendance is 123.
POST OFFICE at Miss Elizabeth Potter's. Letters are received at 6.45 a.m., and despatched at 7.30 p.m., Sundays at 11 a.m., viâ Attleborough. New Buckenham and Banham are the nearest Money Order Offices.
Adams Rev. Arthur Bayley curate Aldous Charles tailor & parish clerk Ashford T.L. farm bailiff to Messrs. Ireland Bacon James farmer Banyard H.J. farmer Barker Henry farmer Barker Richard farmer Barnard Robert farmer Beales Horace victualler, Crown Beales William Miller farmer, corn and coal merchant Benns Charles shopkeeper Betts Edward Wiseman farmer and cattle dealer Bird Mr Richard Bird Edward farmer, Old Hall farm Blackbourn John farmer Blyth Simon farmer Booty William farmer Bowen James wheelwright Bowles Richd. frmr. & assisnt. ovrseer Brighton James farmer Catlyn James farmer Chapman Mrs Francis frmr. White hse Chapman William blacksmith Clare H. grocer, draper & ironmonger Chilvers David farmer Colman J. & J. farmers & merchants Cordy George Riches farmer Dade Lewis blacksmith & vict. Sun Deane Rev. William Edward, M.A. rector of Eccles, The Manor house Fitt Charles Edwd. plumber & glazier Foster George bricklayer Frost Charles farmer Frost William baker and confectioner Fryer William farmer Fulcher Rev. Thomas, B.A. vicar Gedge John farmer Gibson Thomas beer house Gould John farm bailiff to F.J. Gurney Gunns George farmer Gurney Mr Francis John Old Buckenham lodge Hammond Walter Geo. farmer, Hill hse Hanton William farmer Hardy Charles farmer Hardy Mrs Margaret farmer Hardy Peregrine farmer Hardyman David farmer Hewett Samuel farmer Hindes Leonard barber Holl George Roger watchmaker and victualler, White Horse Howell W.G. farmer Ireland H.J. farmer Jessup George farmer Johnson Geo. Page frmr. Bury's hall Keppel Major Wm. Geo. The Grange Kybird Robert wheelwright Lancaster Mrs Caroline butcher Lancaster Frederick builder Linstead Walter miller and farmer Long David baker Long Mrs Susan vict. Jolly Sportsman Loveday Elisha & Sons ironfounders and machinists Loveday Mr Thomas Loveday David farmer Loveday Foulger shoemaker Mallett James farmer Nordey Esau shoemaker Norton John farmer Orvice John farmer Parish Bristol farmer Petley William cattle dlr. and farmer, Abbey farm Petley William John vet. surgeon Phillips Abraham carpenter Potter Mr Barnabas Potter Miss Elizabeth dressmaker and post office Punt Edward blacksmith & whlwright Reade Edwin Henry schoolmaster, clerk to Charity trustees, School hse Saunders William farmer Scales William farmer Self Christopher farmer Simpson William Thomas farmer and landowner (Salter & S.), auctioneers Smith Elisha shoemaker Smith Mr Christopher Wm. Sunnyside Summersby Miss Charlotte Sparrow David farmer and carrier Tingey Charles farmer, Park farm Townshend Mrs Lydia Turner James shoemaker Webster William farmer Westgate Albert cattle dealer and farmer, Castle farmCARRIER to Norwich, David Sparrow, Saturday
Copyright © Pat Newby.