Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: New Buckenham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BUCKENHAM (NEW) is a small town with a large disused market-place, 4½ miles S. by E. of Attleborough; 15½ miles S.W. of Norwich; 95 miles N. by E. of London, and 5 miles from Tivetshall Station. Its parish is in Guiltcross union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Shropham hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Attleborough polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 548 inhabitants in 1881, living on 324 acres, and has a rateable value of £1336.

The parish is principally the property of the executors of the late E.F. Bond, Esq. The vicar for the time being is lord of the Priory manor, and A.T. Clowes, Esq., of the Buckenham Burgh and Leet manors. The inhabitants are exempt from tolls at markets and fairs.

This parish was separated from Old Buckenham by Wm. d'Albini, who for the strengthening of the garrison of the castle which he built here, created this new burgh, with the privilege of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, a gallows, a weekly market every Saturday, &c. The market is obsolete, but fairs for horses, cattle, &c., are held on November 22nd and the last Thursday in May.

The CHURCH (St. Martin) is a handsome edifice, comprising nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel, and square tower with six bells. It was built at various periods; the north aisle about 1479, by the contributions of several distinguished families, of whom here are various memorials, particularly of the Knyvets, one of whom was Lord Chancellor in the reign of Edward III. The Church was thoroughly restored and repewed in 1872. The living is a vicarage, worth £125 a year, in the gift of the parishioners, and incumbency of the Rev. John Woods, B.A., who has a small residence.

Here is a Wesleyan Chapel erected in 1811, at a cost of £400, and a Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected 1879.

New Buckenham School Board, formed July 1875, consists of Messrs. Wm. How (chairman), Johnson Wallis (vice-chairman), John Coleman, and Joseph Durrell. Mr. A.T. Clowes is clerk, and Mr. Edwin Le Good attendance officer. The National School is rented from the school trustees at a nominal rent of 1s. per annum.

The George and Dragon public-house, let for £76 a year, has been built by private donors in lieu of an old house which formerly stood in the centre of the Market place, and which was left by Wm. Juby in 1646, one-half for the schoolmaster, and the other for the incumbent. The latter has also about £30 a year as the rent of 13A. 2R. 16P. at Carleton Rode, left in 1692 by William Barber, who also founded an Almshouse here for four poor parishioners, and endowed it with a house and 18A. 3R. 8P. at Old Buckenham. This almshouse was re-built in 1861, chiefly at the cost of Messrs. H. and J.J. Turner, and the four inmates have each 2s. 6d. per week, and an allowance of coal yearly.

The Overseers' Lands comprise 4½ acres, let for £16 a year, which is applied in aid of the poor's rates, two houses for aged poor were built in 1862, adjoining Barber's almshouse. The Church Land, 6A., is let for £18; and the High Bailiff's Land, 5½A., is let for £14, which is expended in repairing the market-cross, two town pumps, and the church clock. There is a common of 80 acres, the rights upon which belong to numerous owners.

POST, MONEY ORDER AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Mr. Edwin Le Good's. Letters arrive at 7.50 a.m., despatched at 6.40 p.m., Sundays 10 a.m. viâ Attleboro'.

	Aldis     William             carpenter
	Austin    James               saddler and harness maker, agt. to
	                                the Norwich Union Fire & Life
	                                Insce. Co. Beech cot
	Brown     Albert              pony and trap on hire
	Buddery   Henry               shoemaker
	Calver    Wm.                 shoemkr. & shopkeeper
	Clowes    Arthur Tallent      solctr. commr. in the High ct. & for
	                                ackngts. by married women, clerk to
	                                the Justices for the divsn. of
	                                Guiltcross & Shropham, to the
	                                Guardians of the Guiltcross union,
	                                to the rural sanitary authority,
	                                school attendance committee, and to
	                                the New Buckenham School Board,
	                                supt. registrar, agt. to the Norwich
	                                Union Fire, & Norwich Union Life
	                                Assurance Societies, & the Norwich
	                                & London Accidental Assce Soc.,
	                                Market pl
	Davey     Mr William
	Davy      Dl.                 cooper, basketmkr. & grocer
	Davy      Thomas              tailor
	Dennis    Charles             farmer
	Durrell   Mr Joseph
	Edwards   John B.             farmer, Grange farm
	Filby     George              carrier
	Gall      John, Esq. J.P.     The Grange
	Holl      Arthur, M.R.C.V.S.  vet. surgeon
	Holl      George Taylor       board schlmstr
	Holl      Lanham              baker, miller, corn and coal merchant
	Holl      Mrs Maria
	How       William             farmer, The Rookery
	Howard    Horace Fulcher,     surgeon, dist. medical officer to the
	            M.R.C.S. & L.S.A.   Guiltcross & Depwade unions
	Humphrey  William             carpenter
	Kemp      Miss Martha
	Lambert   James               fowl dealer
	Lansdell  George              pork butcher
	Laurence  Benjamin            butcher, farmer and cattle dealer
	Le Good   Edwin               postmaster, stationer & fancy
	                                repository, assistant overseer,
	                                agent to the Scottish Union
	                                & National and Railway
	                                Passenger Assurance Offices,
	                                Market place
	Levett    Chas.               coal dealer & vict. White Horse,
	                                and carrier to Diss, Friday
	Lighton   Mr. William
	Lighton   Edward              tailor
	Maggs     Walter              collar & harness mkr
	McIntyre  Mrs. Fras. Elizabeth
	McIntyre  Miss Mary A.        ladies' seminary
	Morley    Chas.               baker and confectioner
	Mornement                     wine & spirit & ale & porter merts.
	  & Drane                       The Stores, Market pl.
	                                Robt. Simpson, manager
	Nicholls  W.M.                outfitter and grocer; h Attleborough
	Palmer    Edward              (E. & W.) inspector of weights and
	                                measures
	Palmer    Edwd. & Wm.         grcrs. & drprs
	Palmer    Miss Rebecca
	Perfitt   Ephraim Joseph      watchmkr. & fancy repository;
	                                h Wymondham
	Pitchers  John                dealer and victualler, King's Head
	Ribbons   James               greengrocer, fruiterer, fish and coal
	                                dealer
	Ribbons   James, jun.         glass and china dealer and hawker
	Roberts   William Arthur      surgeon, Apothecaries' Hall, and
	            Ormsby, L.R.C.S.    Kenninghall
	            & L.S.A.
	Robins    Jas.                shopkeeper & hairdresser
	Self      George              farmer
	Simpson   Robt.               mgr. wine &c. stores
	Smith     Walter              harness maker
	Smith     William             builder
	Stebbings Thomas              plumber, painter and parish clerk
	Turner    James               shoemaker
	Turner    Miss Mary Elizabeth
	Vertigen  Isaac               law clerk, registrar of births and
	                                deaths and vaccination officer for
	                                Banham sub-district, clerk to
	                                Fersfield School Board, assessor
	                                and collector of taxes;
	                                h Rose cottage
	Wallis    Johnson             ironmonger, agent to the Lpool.
	                                London & Globe Insce. Co
	Wells     the Misses Frances
	            & Rebecca
	Wilson    Mr Daniel
	Woods     Rev. John, B.A.     The Vicarage
	Woods     William             vict. George Hotel

CARRIERS - Filby Geo. to Banham, Kenninghall, and Old Buckenham, Mon. and Thurs. to Norwich, Wed. and Sat.; Levett Chas. to Diss, Fri.


From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

In the first paragraph "for 'Norwich,' [archdeaconry] read 'Norfolk.'"


See also the New Buckenham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2009