[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BUCKENHAM (NEW) is a small, but neat town, with a large market place, and several short streets, 5 miles S. by E. of Attleborough; 15½ miles S.W. of Norwich; and 95 miles N. by E. of London.
Its small parish contains 716 inhabitants, and only 315 acres of land, in the manor of Old Buckenham, and separated from that parish by Wm. de Albini, when he built the new castle; and for the purpose of strengthening his garrison when necessary, he created this new burgh, with the privilege of frankpledge, assize of bread and ale, a gallows, a weekly market every Saturday, &c., &c. The market is obsolete, but FAIRS for horses, cattle, &c., are held on the last Saturday in May, and November 22nd and 23rd; and Hirings for Servants a fortnight before Old Michaelmas day.
The soil is held by several small proprietors, but 95 acres form a common, on which all the occupiers have pasturage. The inhabitants, like those of old Buckenham, are exempt from serving on juries out of the parish, and from tolls at markets and fairs.
The CHURCH (St. Martin) is a handsome edifice, with a nave, aisles, chancel, and a square tower, containing six bells. It was built at various times; the north aisle about 1479, by the contributions of several distinguished families, of whom here are various memorials, particularly of the Knyvets, one of whom was Lord Chancellor in the reign of Edward III. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the parishioners, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Fison. It was valued in 1831 at £116, and endowed in 1816, with a parliamentary grant of £1000; and the inhabitants pay a yearly modus of 3½d. in the pound on the rental, in lieu of tithes.
The lord of the manor is cup bearer at the Coronation.
Here is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The George and Dragon public-house, let for £14, was left by Wm. Juby, in 1646, one-half for the incumbent curate, and the other for the schoolmaster, for teaching six free scholars. In 1692, Wm. Barber left a house and 13A. 2R. 16P. at Carlton Rode, let for £34, for the benefit of the resident curate. He also founded an Almshouse here for four parishioners, and endowed them with a house and 18A. 3R. 8P. at Old Buckenham, let for £35 a year. The Almshouse is occupied by six poor women, all of whom have an allowance of coals yearly; and three of them have each a weekly stipend of 2s. 6d. The Town Lands consist of 4½A., let for £20, which is applied with the poor-rates; 6A., let for £16, applied in the service of the church; and 5½A., let for £10, expended in repairing the market-cross, pumps, &c.
The POST-OFFICE is at the King's Head. Letters arrive at 10½ morning, and are despatched at 4 aftn.
Andrews Thos. watchmaker, &c Athornwhite Wm. surgeon, M.D. Buddery Benjamin bookseller Buddery Hy. shoemaker and currier Clowes Edw. Norris, solicitor, agent to Farmers' and jun. General Ins. Offices, and registrar Davy Mr Saml. Deighton John surgeon Dodd Edward James flour dealer Foulger Samuel glover Gall Mr John Graham Rev Henry (Wes. min.) Gunton Saml. Chas. wine and spirit merchant and tallow chandler Harvey Thomas Brown painter, &c Himpey Matilda schoolmistress Holl Geo. broker, and agent to Norwich Union and Hail Storm Insurance Companies Howard Horace surgeon Palmer Robert corn miller Parson Wm. druggist Rayson Wm. F. stone mason Stebbings Thomas glazier, &c Tyrell J. schoolmaster Wallis John smith & ironmonger Walsingham Andrew tailor Wilson Danl. glover & hair dresser Wright Jabez wheelwright Inns and Taverns. Holl Roger George and Dragon Ely Henry King's Head and Excise Office Stebbings Elvin White Horse Bakers. FARMERS. Armes Benjamin Bond Fisher Knights Wm. Gall John Lighton James Woodrow Henry Beerhouses. Grocers & Dprs. Knights Wm. Bryant Richard Pake Sarah Buddery John Turner Hammond & Jp. Jno. Butchers. Saddlers. Gaynor John Austin Edward Lawrence John Townshend John Carpenters. Tailors Aldis D.F. & W. Holl Geo. (& dpr.) Chapman Wm. Stebbings Elvin Cook Wm. C.
COACHES to Norwich Sat. mg. from King's Head
To Norwich, J. Fisk, Mon. & Thu., and J. Bowen, Tue. & Fri. J.F. to Bury, Tue. & Fri., and J.B. to Kenninghall Wed. & Sat.
See also the New Buckenham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.