BUCKENHAM FERRY is a pleasant village, on a bold elevation above the Yare, 9 miles E. by S. of Norwich. Its parish has only 60 souls, and 923 acres of land. Sir Wm. Beauchamp Proctor, Bart., owns all the soil, (except 37A. of glebe,) and is lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, (St. Nicholas,) which is an ancient structure, with an octagonal tower.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831 at £238, with that of Hassingham annexed to it, is enjoyed by the Rev. T.W.H. Beauchamp, who thoroughly repaired the church in 1820, and enriched the east window with stained glass, representing St. Nicholas and the four Evangelists. The Rectory House is a neat and commodious mansion in the Gothic style, erected in 1827-'8, with money borrowed from Queen Anne's Bounty, and £400 from the patron. The tithes here have been commuted for £124 per annum.
The Godsalve family were lords of the manor, till after the reign of Henry VIII., and their arms may still be seen in the carved wainscot of the old hall, now a farm house.
Beauchamp Rev. Thos. Wm. Hy. Rectory Green John farmer, Hall Jay John vict., Three Horse Shoes Waters Benj. farmer, White House
Copyright © Pat Newby.