BRUMSTEAD, or Brunstead, 7 miles E.S.E. of North Walsham, and 16 miles N.N.E. of Norwich, is a parish in Smallburgh union, Happing Hundred, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, Stallingborough polling district of North Norfolk, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Waxham rural deanery.
It had 113 inhabitants in 1881, living on 780 acres, and had a rateable value in 1881 of £1470.15s. J.R. Johnson, Esq., barrister-at-law, of New Zealand, is lord of the manor, and Robert Ives, Esq., is owner of most of the soil. The Hall, a good residence, improved at considerable expense in 1844, is now occupied by Mrs Durrant.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) is a small structure, with nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower containing one bell. In the chancel is a piscina; and here are tablets of the Comyn and Durrant families, and several stones stripped of their brasses. The chancel was restored in 1877 by the present rector, at a cost of £500. In 1875 a stained glass window, by King of Norwich, was placed in the chancel at an outlay of £100 defrayed by George Durrant, Esq., of Norwich.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6.5s.7d., is in the patronage of the Earl of Abergavenny. The Rev. Horatio Nelson William Comyn, B.A., who is also incumbent of Walcott, is the present rector, and has a good residence, 22A.3R.16P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £240, awarded in 1843 in lieu of tithes.
A School Board for this and Stalham parishes was established in 1875.
Post from Norwich, via Stalham, by foot messenger.
Comyn Rev. Horatio Nelson William, B.A. rector, Rectory Dexter James parish clerk Ducker James farmer Durrant Mrs Ann & Miss Elizabeth The Hall Faulke William farmer, owner and surveyor Ives Robert farmer; h. Hall farm Ladbrooke Annine farmer Powell Peter farmer
"for 'Stallingborough,' read 'Stalham.'"
Copyright © Pat Newby.