BRUMSTEAD, or Brunstead, 7 miles E.S.E. of North Walsham, and 16 miles N.N.E. of Norwich, has 99 inhabitants, and 789 acres. Cubitt Durrant, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil. He resides at the Hall, a good residence, which was improved at considerable expense in 1844.
The Church (St. Peter) is a small structure, with nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower containing one bell. In the chancel is a piscina; and here are tablets of the Comyn and Durrant families, and several stones stripped of their brasses.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 5s. 7d., is in the patronage of the Earl of Abergavenny. The Rev. Horatio Nelson Wm. Comyn, B.A., who is also incumbent of Walcott, is the present rector, and has a good residence, 22A. 3R. 16P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £240, awarded in 1843 in lieu of tithes.
The other principal inhabitants are
Dexter Jas. parish clerk Riches Thomas blacksmith farmers. Faulke Wm. (owner) Gladden George Newman Margaret (owner) Silcock Cubitt ObadiahPOST from Norwich, via Stalham.
Copyright © Pat Newby.