William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
BROOMSTHORPE is a small churchless parish, 6 miles W. by S. of Fakenham,
in Docking union, Fakenham county court district, Gallow petty sessional
division, Gallow hundred, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, and
Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 12 inhabitants in
1881, living on 443 acres, and has a rateable value of £459. It is owned
by Joseph S. Scott Chadd, Esq., and farmed by Mr. Thomas W. Francis, who
resides at Helhoughton.
In 1863 some farm labourers discovered in this parish, about 18 inches
below the surface, several human skeletons. The house occupied by the
Misses Francis stands on the site of an ancient seat of the Walpoles.
The CHURCH was destroyed before the reign of Elizabeth, and its benefice
abolished. It had a guild of St. John, to whom the church was probably
POST via Swaffham. East Rudham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Francis Misses Mary & Elizabeth
Francis Thomas William farmer; H Helhoughton
See also the Broomsthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.