[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BROOME (or Brome) 2 miles N. by E. of Bungay, and 13 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, is a parish in Loddon union, Beccles county court district, Loddon petty sessional division, Loddon hundred, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Loddon polling district of South Norfolk, and East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 514 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1419 acres, and has a rateable value of £2542 1s., and a gross rental of £3025 3s. 6d. The trustees of the late Sir William F. Fowle Middleton, Bart., own most of the soil, and are lords of the manor. Broome Place, a mansion overlooking the vale of the Waveney, belongs to Messrs. Samuel Darby and George Chase, but is now unoccupied. Mr. William Edward Cross also has an estate in the parish.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a large building of Perpendicular architecture, and comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with five bells. In 1867 the chancel, which contains sedilia and a piscina, was rebuilt, and the church restored and re-seated. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6 13s. 4d., is in the patronage of the trustees of the late Sir W. F. F. Middleton, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. J. G. Brighton, M.D., who has a substantial brick residence, rebuilt in 1861. There are 26 acres of glebe, and the tithes have been commuted for £286 a year, of which £6 belong to the rector of Ditchingham.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1874, and consists of Rev. Dr. Brighton (chairman), and Messrs. L. Elden, G. Mickleburgh, W. Crowfoot, and Jas. Doe. Edward Cadge, Esq., of Loddon, is the clerk. The school was built in 1875, at a cost of £900, for the accommodation of 90 children.
The Town Lands, 27A. 3R. 19P., let for about £80 a year, have been vested in trust since 1520, for the repairs of the church and other 'town charges.' The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is 10A. 1R. 30P., let with 4A. 19P. awarded to the Town Lands, for £17 8s. a year. The poor have also the interest of £120 12s. 5d., Three per Cent. Annuities, derived from the sale of an acre of allotment land. These charities are now vested in the Charity Commissioners, under the management of the following board: Rev. Dr. Brighton (chairman), J. D. French, Esq., and the churchwardens for the time being. Austen Smith, Esq., is clerk to the board.
POST from Bungay. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 4.50 p.m. on week days only.
Brighton Rev. John George, M.D. rector, The Rectory Bull Isaac bricklayer and builder Chandler Mr. Geo. Owles Beech house Clow Fredk. Board schoolmaster Crowfoot Wm. farmer, Heath house Easter William market gardener Elden James builder, bricklayer, contractor, and parish constable and farmer, Stone cottage Farrow Henry market gardener Frost William marsh farmer Goff Ezekiel vict. Three Tuns Inn Kent Edward farmer and overseer Mallinson John vict. Artichoke Inn Mickelburgh Wm. farmer & thatcher Moore Thomas farmer, and miller & merchant; Wainford Mills, Suffolk Mortlock Mrs Esther Herman Broome house Mortlock Westall John farmer and surveyor, Red house Mortlock William Herbert farmer & collector of taxes, Broome house Pulford George vict. Rising Sun Inn Pulford Mark & George farmers Ramus George shoemaker & cowkpr Redgrave Martin shopkeeper Reeve Henry farmer & owner, Gambles farm; h Lowestoft Riches Walter shopkeeper Saunders Hy. Berry farmer, Ivy hs Smith Jeremiah carpenter Smith John parish clerk and farmer Tubby William shopkeeper Wenn Misses Brome cottage Wilson William farmer, Church farm Wisken Thomas miller, corn and coal merchant and assistant overseer
See also the Broome parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.