[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BROOME, 2 miles N. by E. of Bungay, and 13 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish 610 souls, and 1,421A. of land.
Sir Wm. F. Fowle Middleton, Bart., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £221, in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Colvile. The glebe is 28A.; and the CHURCH, (St. Michael,) is an ancient fabric.
Broome Place, a neat mansion overlooking the vale of the Waveney, is the seat of the Hon. Mrs. Chester.
The Town Lands, 27A. 3R. 19P., let for £60 a year, have been vested in trust since the 11th of Henry VIII., for the repairs of the church and other "town charges."
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1806, is 10A. 1R. 30P., let with 5A. 19P. awarded to the Town Lands, for £8 a-year, to eight poor families.
Chester Hon. Mrs. Broome Place Crowfoot Wm. vict., Artichoke Eldon Jas. bricklayer Hunt Mr. Jonathan Hunt J. jun., shoemaker Jollye Rev. Hunting, M.A. curate Mealham Martha vict., Tuns Meade John vict., Sun Meyers J. miller Neach Mr. Robt. farmers Mickleburgh Wm. (owner) Moore James Norman Robt. Palmer Wm. (owner) Parkerson Carter J. Spalding Benj. Spalding Thos. M. Spilling Benj.
See also the Broome parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.