[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BROOKE, a large and well-built village, and one of the three detached parishes of Clavering Hundred, is 7 miles S.S.E. of Norwich, and has 756 souls and 2049A. of land, belonging to many proprietors, some of whom have neat mansions here, the largest of which have well-wooded parks, viz., Brooke House, the seat of George Samuel Kett, Esq., and Brooke Hall, an elegant cemented building in the Grecian style, erected in 1830, near the site of the Old hall, by its present owner and occupant, the Rev. John Holmes, lord of the manor (fines certain) and impropriator of the great tithes.
William the Conqueror gave this manor to the Abbey of Bury St. Edmund's; and one of the abbots in the 10th of Edward I., obtained for it a market and fair, but both have long been obsolete.
The CHURCH (St. Peter,) is an ancient fabric, with a round tower, and is a vicarage valued in the King's Book at £5. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. Wm. Castell is the incumbent, and has recently given a house, worth £10 a-year, to provide for the repairs, &c., of the organ. The glebe is 2A. 3R. 32P., and the vicarial tithes were commuted in 1842, for £240 per annum.
In the village, is a Baptist Chapel, built in 1839. A large National School has recently been built here, for the parishes of Brooke, Howe, and Kirstead.
The TOWN LANDS consist of 43A. 3R. 2P. in this parish, let for £64 a-year; and Pevers Farm, 53A. 2R. in Kirstead, let for £80 a-year. To the latter is attached the reputed manor of Pevers, now yielding only a quit rent of 8s. 2d. per annum. This property was vested in trustees before the reign of Henry VIII., for the payment of tenths, fifteenths, and other taxes, levied by the king on the parishioners of Brooke; but since 1692, the rents have been applied with the poor-rates. Part of the original trust lands were exchanged for others in 1813.
The Fuel Allotment, 5A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1800, and is let for £8, which is distributed in coals amongst the poor, who have also the following yearly doles, viz., 20s. left by John Kerrison, in 1756; 40s. left by John Fowle, in 1786; and the interest of £20 derived from a house left by Wm. Brereton, but sold by the overseers about 1832.
The POST OFFICE is at the King's Head. Letters are received at half-past eight morning, and despatched at half-past five afternoon.
Banham William Henry National School master Barling Rev. Charles Harris A. Barlow Isaac tailor Burgess Mrs. Rosetta boarding and day school [see note below] Butcher Mrs Sar. Castell Rev. Wm., M.A. Vicarage Castell Damment corn miller Chase James veterinary surgeon Clarke John blacksmith Downing Jas. beer hs [see note below] Dunt Robt. beer hs [see note below] Everett John saddler Fox Mgt. boarding and day school [see note below] Gillett George surgeon Haggith Wm. tailor and draper Harwin Benjamin joiner Holmes Rev. John Brooke Hall Holmes Geo., Esq. Johnson John. Geo. plumber, glaz. &c. Jones Edward vict., King's Head Kett Geo. Saml., Esq. Brooke House King Rev. J. Baptist minister Larke John tailor and overseer Larke Robert Norman surgeon Marston Alfred saddler Newson John wheelwright Palmer Leeder sheep dealer Roe Mr. Rt. Rummer Louisa National School Steward Wm. plumber, glazier, &c. Whurr James bricklayer Young Isaac gent. FARMERS. Austin Matthias Howard Charles Bridges Henry Smith R. Bridges James Tibbenham Edw. Chase John Tibbenham Jas. Chase James Utting James Daniels John Yallop James Fisher Francis Grocers, &c. Shoemakers. Garrard John Forder Robert Harvey Ed. Geo. Roberts James Tidnam John Tidnam George Ward Rachael Warner Edward
COACHES And Carriers
To Norwich, Ipswich, &c. daily from the King's Head.
Note: in the original this is
Burgess Mrs. Rosetta, and Fox Mgt., boarding and day school
Dunt Robt. & Downing Jas. beer hs
See also the Brooke parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.