BROCKDISH, on the south [should be north] bank of the Waveney, 2½ miles W.S.W. of Harleston, and 5 miles E. of Diss, has in its parish 466 souls, and 1054 acres of land, all freehold. John Birkbeck, Esq., is lord of the manors of Brockdish Hall and Brockdish Earl, and owner of the Hall estate, formerly the seat of the Le Grys family. T.C. Brettingham, Esq., of London, owns Brockdish Place, a handsome modern mansion, of white brick, and has a large estate here. The Grove estate, anciently the seat of the Wythes, belongs to the heirs of Mr. Thos. Walne.
The Church (Saint Peter and St. Paul,) has a tower, partly rebuilt in 1714, and containing five bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is in the patronage of W.B. France, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. France. M.A., who has lately erected a handsome Rectory House, in the Elizabethan style. The glebe is 25A., and the tithes have been commuted for £350 per annum.
Here is a Methodist Chapel, and a small National School.
The Church Land, 7A. 30P., left by John Bacon, in 1433, is let for £17. The poor have a yearly rent of 6s. 8d., left by John Sherwood, in 1574, out of land at Hoxne.
Aldous John blacksmith Austin Thomas butcher Barkway Chas. fellmonger & beerhs. Betts Rev. Jas. M.A. Brockdish pl Brooks Amos & Robert joiners Bryant Jas. B. plumber, painter, &c Burgess Mr John Fox Charles grocer, draper, &c Gooch Wm. butcher High John schoolmaster Jackson Isaac cooper and shopkpr Mallett Mary vict. King's Head Mitchell Henry G. baker, &c Musk Mr Robert Norman Robt. vict. Greyhound Robinson Ray grocer, draper, &c Bricklayers. Saddlers. Kemp Charles Smith Charles Walne Thomas Taylor Wm. FARMERS. Shoemakers. Brigham John Cooke Amos Brigham Thos. Evans Jas. Coleman Chas. Stannard Chas. Churchill Chpr. Davy James Tailors. Soames Isaiah Vyse John Booty Wm. Hart George
Copyright © Pat Newby.