Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Briston

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

BRISTON is a scattered parish, 4½ miles S. by W. of Holt, near one of the sources of the river Bure, in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt hundred and petty sessional division, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 855 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2757 acres, and has a rateable value of £4403 2s., and a gross estimated rental of £4987 18s. There were 262A. of common, but these have been enclosed; a recreation ground and Poor Allotment being reserved.

A swine market is held here every Tuesday, and a large cattle fair on May 26, or on the following Monday, when that date falls on Saturday or Sunday. The parish feast is on the day after Old Michaelmas day.

The soil belongs to Lord Hastings, the Rev. Sir E.R. Jodrell, Bart., Messrs. J.H. Holley, J.G. Woodcock, J. Emery, and some smaller owners, and lies in several manors, of which the following are the names and lords, viz.: --- Briston Hall, Melliors, and Chosells, Thomas Copeman, Esq.; Briston Mautbois, W.E.L. Bulwer, Esq; Mikehall and Loundhall, J.H. Holley, Esq.; and Thornage-exparte-Briston, Lord Hastings.

The CHURCH (All Saints), comprises only nave and chancel, with small belfry at west end. It had a round tower, which was taken down in 1776. The sedilia and piscina still remain in the chancel. Great improvements have been made since 1864; the old gallery has been removed, the chancel paved with Minton's tiles, and new oak seats erected in the nave and chancel. The font has been restored, an oak screen set up, and a new oak pulpit erected. A vestry has also been built, and an old window in the chancel reopened. The Registers date from 1689.

The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4 9s. 9d., is in the patronage of Lord Hastings, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Norris, B.A., who has 40A. 3R. 31P. of glebe, and a good vicarage house, completed in 1870, at a cost of £1200. The Feoffees of Greenaway's Charity at Wiveton are lay impropriators of the great tithes, commuted in 1844 for £444, and the vicarial for £234.

The Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and the Free Methodists have each a chapel here.

The National School, built in 1844, at a cost of £250, was enlarged in 1875, at a cost of £250, and is attended by 174 children of this and the neighbouring parishes.

Pursuant to the wills of Thomasine and James Scamler, in 1667 and 1687, the yearly sum of £8 10s. 8d. is paid out of Hickling Priory farm to this parish, and dispensed as follows: --- £4 6s. 8d. to the vicar for sermons, 2s. to the clerk, £1 3s. divided among the poor, and £2 10s. applied in apprentice fees.

POST OFFICE at Messrs. J. & T. Woodcock's. Letters are received at 7.40 a.m., and are despatched at 4.45 p.m., viâ East Dereham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Allen      Robert              farmer
	Bambridge  Henry Gabriel       bricklayer
	Barstead   Horatio             farmer
	Barstead   William             farmer
	Blomfield  William             glover, leather cutter, farmer,
	                                 assessor & collector of taxes,
	                                 parish clerk & churchwrdn
	Blyth      John                tailor
	Brown      John                shoemaker
	Christmas  Josiah              frmr.; h Burgh Hall
	Clark      Alfred              farmer
	Cletheroe  George              blacksmith
	Cletheroe  Henry               carpenter, &c
	Cletheroe  John                whlwright. & carpntr
	Cletheroe  Jonathan            wheelwright
	Cletheroe  Thomas              corn and coal dlr. carter and farmer
	Cletheroe  Wm.                 carpenter & whlwright
	Coe        Philip              carrier and farmer
	Eke        James               shoemaker
	Everitt    Mark                victualler, Half Moon
	Garrett    Henry               farmer
	Green      Henry               frmr.; h East Barsham
	Green      Miss Jane
	Hammond    Rev. William Arthur (Prim. Methodist)
	Hickling   Thomas              tailor
	Ives       Joseph              miller
	Jackson    Jacob               butcher & shopkeeper
	Lee        Robert              farm bailiff
	LeGrys     John                carpenter & victualler, Chequers Inn
	Nichols    Mr. Isaac
	Nichells   William             shoemaker
	Norris     Rev. Charles, B.A.  vicar, and rector of Melton,
	                                 The Vicarage
	Pease      Abraham             baker
	Perry      Mrs Emily
	Perry      Richard Charles     baker
	Pegg       William             butcher & hairdresser
	Pointer    John                blacksmith
	Riches     Vine                bricklayer
	Riches     William             bricklayer
	Rivett     Edwd.               grcr. draper & outfitter
	Roberts    Thomas              assistant grocer
	Rudd       Frederick           shoe dealer
	Rudd       Henry               saddler
	Rumps      Mrs Ann             farmer
	Sands      Thomas              farmer & cattle dealer
	Scott      James & Saml.       butchers & frmrs
	Stone      Walter Hellary      National school master & mistress
	             & Mrs Elizabeth
	Tann       Edmund              farmer and overseer
	Taylor     Joseph              grocer & beer retailer
	Waller     Wm.                 watchmaker and musical instrument
	                                 repairer
	Williams   Alfred              beerhse. & carpenter
	Williamson Herbert             btchr. & cattle dlr
	Williamson John                farmer
	Wood       Richd.              whlwright & millwright
	Woodcock   Joseph & Thomas     grocers, drapers, earthenware, &c.
	                                 dealers, and seed, wine, spirit,
	                                 ale, & porter merchants, agents
	                                 for the Equitable Insurance Co.,
	                                 farmers, & postmstrs
	Yull       John                gardener and seedsman

CARRIER to Norwich, Philip Coe, Wed. and Sat.


See also the Briston parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2001