BRISLEY is a straggling village on the Fakenham Road, 6 miles N.N.W. of East Dereham, and gives name to a parish in Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred and petty sessional division, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 368 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1201 acres, and has a rateable value of £2171.
The soil is mostly the proper of Earl Sondes and George M. Nicholson, Esq.; but the executors of the late J. Garwood, Esq., and Messrs. George B. Butler, George Bird, and James Coker have estates here. Brisley Green is a fine open common of 170 acres. Brisley Hall is an ancient farm house, still partly encompassed by a deep moat, and having some fine specimens of carved oak.
The CHURCH (St. Bartholomew) is a large edifice, comprising nave, aisles, north porch, chancel, and lofty tower with four bells, and will seat 305 persons. The east window is filled with stained glass, representing the Crucifixion, given by the rector in memory of his first wife. In the church are a brass and a rood-screen.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 7s. 8d., and now at £490, with the vicarage of Gateley annexed, is in the patronage of Christ's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. John Smith, B.D., who has here a yearly tithe rent-charge of £293 4s., a good brick residence, and 22A. 1R. of glebe.
The National School is a neat brick building, erected in 1844, and attended by 50 children, 70 names being on the books. Adjoining are a house and garden for the mistress.
Richard Taverner, a pious layman, who died in 1575, in his 70th year, was a native of Brisley. To promote the Reformation, he published, in 1539, a new translation of the Bible, for which he was committed to the Tower; but he regained the favour of Henry VIII., when that monarch became himself a reformer.
The rent of the Town Land, 4A. 1R. 30P, is applied with the poor rates.
POST OFFICE. --- Letters viâ East Dereham. Pillar Box cleared at 3.45 p.m.; Sundays at 10 a.m. Elmham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Abbott William agent Prudential Assurance Co. Barnes Robert shoemaker Bunning John plumber and glazier, and victualler, Red Lion Butler George Butler farmer & landowner, Church house Chandler James blacksmith Englebright Robert victualler, Bell Hall John farmer; h Billingford Lyne Mr. William Mendham John cattle dealer Nicholson George Mann farmer and landowner, Brisley Hall Palmer William blacksmith Poll Mrs. Sarah farmer Rye Richard Hopson farmer & baker Rye William John tailor Seaman Isaac farmer Smith Rev. John, B.D. rector Tuck Chas. Daniel tailor & parish clk Tuck John farmer Warner George well sinker Warner Robert grocer and draper Wilkins Miss Rosalie Emily National schoolmistress Winearls Alfred blacksmith and beerhouse
CARRIER. --- Rudd (of Rudham) to Norwich and East Dereham, passes through every Tues., at 5 p.m., returning Thurs.
Copyright © Pat Newby.