BRISLEY is a straggling village on the Fakenham road, 6 miles N.N.W. of East Dereham, including within its parish 388 inhabitants, and upwards of 1200 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Sondes and J.D.H. Hill, Esq., the lords of the manor. Mr. F. Frohawk, Mr. B. Butler, Mrs. Branford, and Mrs. Garwood have estates here. Brisley Green is a fine open common of 170 acres.
The CHURCH (St. Bartholomew,) is a large Gothic structure, with a lofty tower and four bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 7s. 8d., has the vicarage of Gateley annexed to it, in the patronage of Christ's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward John Ash, M.A. The united livings were valued in 1831, at £491. The tithes of Brisley were commuted in 1840, for £289, and the vicarial tithes of Gateley for £142. The rectorial tithes of Gateley belong to Christ's College, and were commuted at the same time for £203 per annum.
Brisley Hall is an ancient farm house, still nearly encompassed by a deep moat, and having some fine specimens of carved oak.
Rd. Taverner, a pious layman, who died in 1575, in his 70th year, was a native of Brisley. To promote the Reformation, he published, in 1539, a new translation of the Bible, for which he was committed to the tower; but he regained the favour of Henry VIII., when that monarch became himself a reformer.
A National School has recently been built here.
The Town Land, 4A., is let for £12 a year, which is applied with the church and poor rates.
Ash Rev Edw John, M.A. rector Athow James pump maker Athow Wm. vict. Bell Inn Bass Thomas vict. Lion Branford Mrs Sarah Ann Chapman George Nathl. schoolmr Englebright George corn miller Englebright Robert carpenter Lee John blacksmith Rye John carpenter Spencer Elizabeth beer seller Stimpson Samuel tea dealer Temple Rt. grocer, dpr. & chandler FARMERS. Clarke John Crown James Englebright John and William Frohawk Francis (maltster,) Hall Meck George Poll George Rye Richard Spence Robert Stirley Robert Wormer John
Copyright © Pat Newby.