Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Brinton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

BRINTON is a neat village and parish, 1 mile from Melton Constable Railway Station, and 4 miles W.S.W. of Holt, in Walsingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt hundred and petty sessional division, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 161 inhabitants in 1881, living on 625 acres, and has a rateable value of £1080. The soil principally belongs to A.E. Palmer, Esq., the Rev. E. Brereton, and to Lord Hastings, who is lord of the manor. The Hall is prettily situated in a park-like enclosure of 35 acres of undulating land, and there is a lake which is well stocked with water-fowl.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew) comprises nave, north aisle, and transept, south porch, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The roof is of high pitch, and many of the old open seats with carved poppies still remain. The interior was restored in 1869, at a cost of £550. A stained glass window has been inserted in the chancel by Mr. Henry Page, in memory of his father. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 11s. 4d., is consolidated with that of Thornage (which see), and the rector has here 20 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £177, awarded in 1839. The Rev. Charles John Brereton, B.A., who resides at Thornage, is the rector.

The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1838.

This parish was united with Briningham district School Board in 1875, and new schools to accommodate 150 children were erected here in 1876 at a cost of £1800. The average attendance is about 135. The Poor's Land (2A. 33P.), let for £3 9s., was received in exchange at the enclosure in 1837, in lieu of land purchased with £10, left by Nicholas Rogers in 1693, and £15 subscribed.

POST OFFICE at Mr. William Rayner's. Letters, viâ East Dereham, are received at 6.30 a.m. and are despatched at 5.35 p.m. Holt is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Brereton  Rev. Charles John,  rector; h Thornage Rectory
	            B.A.
	Burrell   Mrs. Jane
	Hawes     William             shopkeeper & victualler, Thatch Tavern
	Jacobs    John                farm bailiff
	Page      Frederick           wholesale grocer, soap boiler and
	                                tallow chandler
	Rice      --                  farmer
	Thwaites  Samuel William      Board School master and mistress
	            & Mrs Ellen Jane

See also the Brinton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2001