BRINTON, 3½ miles W.S.W. of Holt, has in its parish 193 souls, and 615 acres. It maintains its poor jointly with Melton Constable, under Gilbert's Act. Lord Hastings is lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to John Brereton, Esq., who has a handsome mansion here, which was built by the late Wm. John Brereton, Esq., in 1822, on the site of an ancient house which was erected in 1606, and rebuilt in 1721. The house has a fine lawn and small lake.
The Church (All Saints [sic, should be St Andrew],) is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 11s. 4d., and consolidated with that of Thornage, which see. The tithes here were commuted in 1839 for £170 per annum, and the glebe is 20A.
The Poor's Land, 2A. 33P., was received in exchange at the enclosure, in 1807, in lieu of land, purchased with £10, left by Nicholas Rogers in 1693, and £15 subscribed.
Brereton John, Esq. Brereton Misses Elizabeth and Margt. Brereton Wm. John brewer Burrell Matthew farmer Cozens Wm. shoemaker Fulcher Mrs. Page J. soap boiler, tallow chandler, grocer, draper, &c. Patrick Jas. shoemaker Pilch Nathl. tailor and vict, Thatched House Rayner Wm. shoemaker White Wm. Frederick farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.