Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Briningham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]

BRININGHAM, 4 miles S.W. by S. of Holt, is a parish in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt hundred and petty sessional division, Hindringham polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 255 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3313 acres, and has a rateable value of £577.

Lord Hastings and the Marchioness of Lothian are the chief owners of the soil, the former of whom owns the manor of Briningham-on-the-part-of-Thornage (fines arbitrary), and the latter Briningham Chosells. On the north side of the parish is a tower about 60 feet high, called Belle Vue, as it commands extensive prospects. It is the property of Lord Hastings, and is occupied by his gamekeeper.

The CHURCH (St. Maurice) comprises nave, chancel, and south-west tower with one bell. The entrance is through the tower; and in the chancel is a piscina, and also a stained glass window representing the Resurrection and Ascension. One half of the nave is filled with open seats having poppies, and the rest contains closed pews. The church was partially restored in 1863. The vicarage is in the patronage of the Rev. Shovel Brereton, M.A., and incumbency of the Rev. Arthur Rivers, who has a good residence, built in 1875. The tithes have been commuted for £353 per annum.

BRININGHAM UNITED DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD was established in 1875, and consists of Messrs. V.D. Sheringham (chairman), S.H. Brereton (vice-chariman), W.H. Cozens-Hardy, J.P., Rev. C.J. Brereton, Robert Summers, William Green, and Henry Sheringham. Mr. James Simmons, of Letheringsett, is the clerk. The school is situated at Brinton.

POST OFFICE at Mrs. S.A. Richmond's. Letters, viâ East Dereham, are received at 5.45 a.m. and despatched at 6.15 p.m.

	Barwick     Henry                baker, shopkeeper
	                                   and victualler, White Horse
	Brereton    Rev. Shovel, M.A.    The Hall
	Brereton    Capt. Shovel Henry   and (sic) farmer, The Cottage
	Clark       Alfred John          rural postman
	Locksmith   Mr. Robert
	Moore       Thomas               parish clerk
	Olley       Richard              farmer and shopkeeper
	Payne       Robert               grocer and tailor
	Richmond    Mrs Sarah Ann        postmistress
	Rivers      Rev. Arthur          vicar, The Vicarage
	Southgate   Benjamin             farmer
	Wright      --                   gamekeeper

See also the Briningham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2001